How to use coupling nuts?

Old 12-23-19, 12:16 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to use coupling nuts?

I'm trying to join two little studs(as an experimental solution to a little project) and I thought coupling nuts were for this purpose but I don't get how they work since as you screw it on one stud it simply screws away from the other stud. Are YOU supposed to manually screw one of the studs into the coupling nut? Was I wrong in assuming the nut is supposed to function as a tightening nut between the studs? I can only imagine a coupling sleeve nut with opposite threads on each side joining studs of opposite threads to work this way. Are these/this solution available? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-19, 02:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,201 Votes on 1,111 Posts
A coupling nut is used to join to threaded rods together. They can also be used to join screws.

A device that tightens two rods together would be a turnbuckle.
A turnbuckle would have a left hand thread at one end and a right hand thread at the other end.

Old 12-24-19, 08:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 49 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen a turnbuckle style nut, i.e. a coupling nut with turnbuckle threads. As Pete says, the coupling nuts are one direction threads. It would be tough to have opposing direction threads in a "nut", what you see are these instead:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=turnbuckl...f=nb_sb_noss_1

You could conceivably use a regular coupling nut, but one side would have to be permanently anchored and you would have to then screw/unscrew just one side, you wouldn't be able to turn the coupling for adjustment.