Foundation Damage Repair

Old 02-01-16, 07:16 PM
U
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Foundation Damage Repair

Recently I moved into a new house and told my landlord I would help him do some home improvement to the house in exchange for cheaper rent. The first project he has tasked me with has got me stumped.

Last winter, the incoming water line to the house froze so he [the landlord] chipped away the foundation as far back as he could to cut the pipe and replace it. Obviously there is a big hole (3' dia) in the foundation around where the old section of pipe was and now he would like me to come up with a plan to support the damaged area around the new pipe. The main concern is continual crumbling of the foundation near where the pipe has been replaced as there are no load bearing beams directly above or near the area that has been damaged. The foundation looks to be concrete with large 4"-8" rocks as fill.

My initial thought on fixing this problem would be to seal the hole in the wall off with plywood, seal the area around the hole and fill the damaged area in with concrete to prevent future crumbling.

Another thought was to use wooden supports to simply brace the damaged area but I am concerned shrinkage of the wood will render this idea useless over time.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 02-01-16, 07:33 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Can you post some wide angled pics? It's hard to give advice otherwise.

Old 02-01-16, 08:30 PM
U
Name:  IMG_20160201_231354_841.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  24.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20160201_231336_849.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  32.5 KB

I apologize for the bad angle. The room this is in is quite small and hard to get a good picture.

Old 02-02-16, 12:33 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
What year was the house built? It looks like there may have been a rock foundation & something new were poured at a later date although that doesn't make much sense either. How about a pic where the wall meets the ceiling?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: