What kind of floor sealant do I have?

Old 02-07-16, 09:49 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What kind of floor sealant do I have?

Can someone tell me what kind of sealant I have on my basement floor? My basement flooded and my sealant is starting to flake off. Are you able to tell by looking at the below pic? It's a grayish rubbery type of texture.

THanks.

Name:  floor1.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  24.6 KB

Old 02-07-16, 10:27 AM
J
Received 129 Upvotes on 114 Posts
Just looks like peeling paint.
There is no "sealant" that's going to seal a slab floor.

Old 02-07-16, 10:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I agree, whatever was sold as a flooring "sealant" was snake oil. Moisture, if any, will surface eventually if the slab wasn't prepared properly with a vapor barrier below the pour.

Old 02-07-16, 11:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 854 Upvotes on 748 Posts
Y'all have better eyes than me but it looks more like a clear sealer on the floor to me.
I agree no sealer is going to be effective at sealing the concrete from below but sealer can be helpful from above [less dust, easier cleaning] The biggest issue with any type of coating on a concrete floor is if moisture migrates up thru the slab - the sealer will peel!

Has the cause of the flooding been addressed? what are your plans for the basement floor?

Old 02-07-16, 12:59 PM
D
Sorry, I am a newbie--was just assuming that it was a sealant. Just shows how little I know about this stuff. I bought the house about a year ago and we just had major rain. Due to hydrostatic pressure, water started coming up from where the wall meets the floor. Some areas of the ground bubbled, as well. All the homes on this neighborhood row had the same issue. So, do you guys think this is just paint? The flakes definitely feel like paint, but I'm not sure if some kind of sealant has texture like paint? Here's one more pic: Name:  floor2.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  27.2 KB

Old 02-07-16, 01:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,051 Upvotes on 3,634 Posts
grayish rubbery type of texture.
In your newest picture..... is the gray part the finish and where it's not gray it's come up ?

Old 02-07-16, 01:23 PM
D
Yes, the gray part is the finish.

I have a hunch this could be DRYLOK CONCRETE FLOOR PAINT .

Old 02-07-16, 02:37 PM
J
Received 129 Upvotes on 114 Posts
If it really is a rising water table it's time for plan B.
Is there even a sump pump?
May have to go with inside drain tiles and a sump pump to relieve the rising pressure under the floor.
There is no since in trying to finish a basement until this is addressed.

Old 02-09-16, 02:15 PM
D
Yes, just installed a tile drain with sump pump. I don't ever want to do that again -- too much labor.

Old 02-09-16, 02:18 PM
D
OK, so I tried to use a chemical paint stripper (Behr Masonry and Concrete paint stripper) to remove the paint or sealant (not sure what it is), but I didn't have much success.

Next question: Can I just paint over the floor or apply some kind of sealant on top of it? Then I could put some removable rubber tiles for the exercise area of the basement with some loose carpeting for the home theater area.

Thanks,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: