Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Finishing basement- fresh air ducting and drywall questions

Old 02-15-16, 06:29 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Thanks for reading.

Working to finish basement, but this is something I do not know the answer to.
I am looking at how I will need to finish the ceiling in a room with drywall, but there is a 7ftx2ft corner of the room that is sheet metal'd up for upstairs fresh air ducts.

Along this wall, I will need to add 2x4 along the edge for a face to nail drywall to. Will I need to remove the sheet metal, add 2x4 for face to nail drywall to under the ducting or can i simply screw the drywall into the sheet and that will provide sufficient support for the drywall?

Name:  basement-ceiling.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  39.9 KB

Thoughts?
Thanks in advance!

Old 02-15-16, 07:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
You don't necessarily need to nail the drywall to anything at the edge of the room where the pan is. You hang the ceiling first, and the drywall you put on the walls will hold up the edge of the ceiling. The pan itself will prevent the ceiling drywall from being pushed up too high.

In areas where there is no pan, you would put blocking as you normally would. But in the areas where the pan is, I would recommend that you do not screw anything to the edge of the pan.

Old 02-16-16, 08:33 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
X beat me to it - I was going to suggest just going ahead as well since the wall supports the ceiling drywall anyway.

Old 02-18-16, 08:41 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Totally makes sense. Thank y'all for your input!!! Much appreciated!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: