Help me with my basement please!

Old 02-21-16, 10:37 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help me with my basement please!

I live in an old house with a limestone foundation. The house was built in 1900. I am working on fixing up a small room in my basement, which is a disaster. Right now I have cleaned and air blasted the surfaces and taken pictures, in hopes that you all can help me! I know the floor is concrete, and the short portion of the walls contains limestone, along with some cement/mortar type of material that is crumbling like crazy, and falls out with the slightest push. I want to make sure I've identified everything that's currently there, and then determine how to best "spruce" it up a bit, or at least stop the constant dust. I know I can't waterproof it, because that will ruin the foundation. Thanks!!!

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  47.1 KB

Name:  1A.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  35.6 KB

Name:  1B.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  28.6 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 02-21-16 at 11:52 PM. Reason: reoriented pictures
Old 02-22-16, 02:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Waterproofing is always best accomplished on the exterior side of the foundation wall, are you having any moisture issues in the basement?

Old 02-22-16, 08:15 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks so much for responding. I think I may have worded my situation in a confusing manner. I don't want to waterproof the room or wall, I want to make it aesthetically pleasing I plan to use it as a small craft room, so I don't mind getting creative with materials or putting time and effort in, I just want the walls to be presentable, and to stop crumbling. I mentioned waterproof, because I know that it's not a good idea to put any of the waterproofing materials indoors

Old 02-22-16, 09:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,476 Votes on 1,364 Posts
You're looking for way to seal the cement to reduce the dust. It's not as easy as it sounds.

Two products I ran across while checking into this issue. Mark can probably comment better on them.

A deep-penetrating acrylic sealer for the walls and a self etching concrete paint/stain for the floor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: