Basement leaking

Old 03-04-16, 06:38 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement leaking

Our stone walled basement is leaking after rains and snow meltage. The house is 70 years old. It mainly just seeps in. I had an estimate to have it waterproofed and it came out to 40k...I then saw in This Old House about a waterproofing channel system (waterproof.com). It said If it is used you can then finish the walls. My question is any idea of a vapor barrier to use or where to find something like that? When they gave us the quote they said they would place vapor barrier on wall then anchor it in and finish the walls. Thanks!

Old 03-04-16, 06:47 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
What have you done outside to keep water away from the foundation in the first place? Things like gutters, downspout extensions, grading and so forth.

Old 03-04-16, 06:54 AM
M
We just moved into the house..which was neglected prior to moving in. I cleaned all gutters and made sure they drained. All the gutters are tied to the drainage system underneath. I haven't tried grading yet but the area where water is coming through is in the lower half of basement about 5 feet below the ground level. The whole house has gutters.

Old 03-04-16, 06:59 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Look for hairline cracks on the side where the water is entering. That side probably has to be sealed, to the footing. Post some wide angled pics if you can.

Old 03-07-16, 05:58 PM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You mentioned that the gutter system is tied into an underground drainage system. This system could be blocked or constructed in a fashion that allows water to percolate through joints or cracks (if an older terra cotta drain tile) directly into the soil adjacent to the foundation.

I've also seen gutter systems feed into foundation footer drains...bad idea. For 40 thousand I'm fairly certain you can have the exterior of the walls excavated and dealt with in a more positive manor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: