Basement floor Dleta fl and osb vs xps and osb

Old 03-22-16, 07:54 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement floor Dleta fl and osb vs xps and osb

I have read countless posts on basement floor. I was meaning towards 1 inch xps glued to floor with osb (advantech or similar) over it for a warmer floor. My other option is delta fl (that dimpled plastic) with osb over it. The dimpeled plastic would allow more airflow but the xps would be warmer. Which is preceded method? Also since the xps is less than 2 inches would I need a vapor barrier.
Thanks

Old 03-23-16, 01:18 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
Have you done a moisture test on the floor yet to see what, if anything, you have coming up through it?

Old 03-23-16, 09:50 PM
H
There is no moisture coming up. The builder put crushed stone and poly sheets under the concrete floor.

If I used the xps and osb would it crush under the weight of a pounding treadmill or a pool table? Also would a vapor barrier be needed?

If I used the delta and osb, can I just glue the osb joints and leave it floating? I believe that's what the delta directions say. If you glue the joints then how does the 1/8 expansion gap work?

Old 03-24-16, 09:07 AM
S
Group Moderator
Do you see osb as the top surface or what is your ultimate surface material?

Old 03-24-16, 01:15 PM
H
On top of the osb would be carpet.

Old 04-02-16, 08:28 AM
H
Basement subfloor insulation

Please let me know of this will work. I plan on doing 1 inch xps GLUED TO CONCRETE FLOOR taped seams. On top of this 3/4 osb GLUED TO THE XPS. carpet on top. Rather not use tapcons if I do not have too. Do I need to put plastic (vb) between the xps and concrete? Or between the osb and xps? Or no plastic? Thanks.

Old 04-02-16, 08:34 AM
J
Received 83 Votes on 78 Posts
How dry is this basement?
No way would I be gluing anything down.

Old 04-02-16, 09:17 AM
S
Group Moderator
Have you done a moisture test on the slab yet?

Old 04-02-16, 03:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If we are traveling down this road, I will combine the threads, since they repeat themselves. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/fr...s-xps-osb.html

Old 04-02-16, 04:28 PM
H
I did a test. Taped plastic to the floor and waited a couple days. Both sides of the plastic were dry...no moisture is coming up. (there is also plastic under the basement slab). Dehumidifier is also set to come on at a certain level.
I would like to try to do the floor floating if possible, but do not want the sheets to curl. I don't believe osb will curl as easy as ply. I rather not use tapcons in case I need to year.out of floods. Removing all the tapcons would be a nightmare.

Why should I not glue? Maybe not glue the xps to the concrete but what about to the osb? (the osb is advantech)

Or should I skip the xps and just use delta followed by tg advantech floating in top?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: