Drylock basement walls and subfloor option

Old 03-22-16, 09:44 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Drylock basement walls and subfloor option

Should I apply styling to basement walls before finishing. The exterior has a coating of the black tar waterproofing. Would this trap all water in the concrete? People say to let it breath.. I would then either do 2 inch xps framed with FG and no vapor barrier.

For the subfloor am I better off doing delta fl plastic dimple mat with osb over it or 1 inch xps with osb over it?

Thanks

Old 03-23-16, 03:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
With proper exterior waterproofing moisture in the block should be minimal, so the interior wall waterproofing would be redundant, and sometimes ineffective. XPS on the walls, properly taped and secured, then framing the walls 1" away from the XPS. You can put in your insulation in the stud bays. Is this totally below grade, or walk out? I would recommend Roxul as it requires no vapor barrier, waterproof, vermin proof, mold proof and fire resistant, plus it has a higher R value than fiberglas.

Again, whether it is all below grade or walkout will determine if you can do anything to raising the floor, since a walkout will have door issues. Do you have any moisture issues in the floor, now? Have you performed a moisture test? If you do have any moisture, it won't get better. I would prefer the Delta FL over XPS, since the latter will compress a little more, making your flooring feel squishy.

Old 03-23-16, 06:19 AM
H
I was thinking of doing Drylock as any slight but of moisture that got in wouldn't make its way into the interior, but if it better to leave alone that is fine.
No issues with floor. I had taped on foil to the walls and floors and no condensation collected on the concrete side.
It is a walkout but the door is already slightly raised in a 2x6 sill. So if I were to use delta and osb it should have clearance to open.
For the walls, can I just use the 2 inch xps and frame it will I also need the roxul to bring the r value where needed. (located in MA)
Should I just slip the foam, drap plastic down the concrete wall, frame and use roxul without a vapor barrier between the drywall and framing?
Thanks again...things have changed from when I did this year's ago.and just used Fg, vapor barrier,etc.

Old 03-23-16, 11:49 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
You're not relying on the Drylock so if it makes you feel better, it's not going to hurt anything - you seem to know that water is best stopped outside and not inside.

That said, I don't think it's worth the hassle or expense to apply Drylock.

As to the walls, 2" of foam against the wall and batts in the stud bays is a great way to go and I'm with Larry that Roxul in the bays would be my choice.

Old 03-23-16, 04:05 PM
H
Fastening basment floor

I decided to go with 1 inch foam and osb over the foam for the floor for warmth.
First do I need to put plastic down on the floor first? I don't see the point as water will either get trapped under it or on it.
Secondly can I just glue the xps down to the concrete and then glue the osb to the foam and NOT use any fasteners into the concrete? I had a home where the floor was on 2x4 sleepers that were ramset into the floor and they losened over time. Plus if I ever ripped the floor out I do not want 100s of holes (or trying to cut out tapcons).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: