What Insulation for Noise?

Old 04-01-16, 11:01 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question What Insulation for Noise?

I'm in the process of finishing my basement. There is a family room, office, bathroom and guest room. We'll eventually install hardwood/laminate on the 1st floor so I am worried about the noise that will generate but also all the drain lines from the 1st and 2nd floor run through the basement ceiling and out to the sewer so if someone on another floor flushes a toilet or runs a sink you can hear all that water running through the pipes.

I'm not looking to soundproof any of the spaces but rather lessen the noise overall. The basement is heated/cooled and all external walls insulated. No issues with moisture either.

Should I use faced, unfaced? R-11, R-13? I have a couple of rolls of faced R-13 that my father-in-law gave me.

Thanks for any input!

Old 04-01-16, 11:08 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Old 04-01-16, 11:57 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I haven't used the "safe and sound" from Roxul, but have used as insulation their regular mineral wool, AND IMO, it would be much better than the fiberglass. Very dense and unfaced and easy to cut to shape with a long bread knife.

Since your rafters are open for this insulation, are you going to sheetrock the ceiling or install a drop?

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: