Brick and mortar question

Old 04-30-16, 07:30 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Brick and mortar question

I've got a question about bricking up an old window in my cellar. First off, this house is 116 years old, and we actually know very little about its history. What we do know is it has had many odd and often hack job repairs and updates over the years. The original foundation is limestone, with a basic cellar in the middle of the house and crawlspace under half of it. Now this window by the looks of it is in what appears to have been a doorway at some point, but I can't say for sure. The "doorway" was mostly filled in with red brick, and then topped with a 29" wide by 21" high window. By the construction of the window, I'm guessing this was done at least 50 years ago. The window frame was long ago eaten away by termites, and a previous owner covered the outside with a piece of plywood, and packed the holes in the frame with fiberglass insulation, and left it at that.

Now last summer, we had a concrete block addition done to the basement, which replaced half of the limestone foundation. One wall of it goes all the way to the window and red brick. So basically I'm trying to fill in a hole that is limestone on one side, red brick on the bottom, modern concrete block on the other side, and the wooden base of the house across the top. So what is going to be the best block and mortar to use for the four different materials that surround this hole?

Old 04-30-16, 07:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,980 Upvotes on 1,774 Posts
What's going to look the best from the outside?

Old 05-01-16, 02:19 PM
W
Received 66 Upvotes on 57 Posts
Foundation

Remove the brick and continue the block wall to the limestone.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: