Crawl Space to Full basement

Old 05-02-16, 09:00 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Crawl Space to Full basement

We have a home where my brother wants to move in. Since space is just 2 BR and 1 Bath he needs more space. Crawl space is around 4 feet half home and 2 feet on rest of the home. We were thinking what cost to estimate if we need to convert that to full basement. Since the lot is very smalll we don't have space to extend the home to make it bigger or too much money to build a second floor which is out of budget. Any ideas on cost of converting the crawl space to full basement and how deep we can go?
Thanks for your inputs.

Old 05-02-16, 10:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
It will be phenomenally expensive. In addition to excavating all the dirt, the foundation wall will need to be underpinned. Your current foundation wall is setting on top of a footing that is much wider than it is. On an 8" wall, the footing will usually be at least 8" thick and 16" wide. So when you go to underpin a wall, you have to excavate under the wall in sections... no more than 6 feet at a time usually. A new footing has to be poured, and the new wall built on top. The cost of doing that will be do expensive that you might as well look into contacting a house mover. They will lift the house up off the current foundation... or at least support it, so that all your foundation walls can be removed. A full basement can the be dug, footings and floor poured, walls built, etc. This would be the most reasonable way to go about it.

I can't even imagine how much this might cost in NJ. Out here it might be $30,000. Call some house movers and get several estimates. They will have the best idea of the rates in your area and they regularly do this kind of work. Be sure you get copies of their license and insurance.

Old 05-02-16, 10:46 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Honestly, I would look at moving to a different house instead.

Old 05-02-16, 10:53 AM
Group Moderator
Forgot. How deep you can go is also a question your house mover may know. You can also ask neighbors who have basements if they ever get damp/water in theirs. A lot depends on the water table in your area. If you are next to the Passaic, for example... probably not too deep. But if you are on higher ground, go as deep as you like. One thing to think about is that it's nice to go deep enough that all your ductwork and pipes can be concealed above the ceiling and still have a nice 8 or 9' high living space.

Old 05-03-16, 09:11 AM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thanks xSleeper and stickshift.
I live in northern NJ near Morris Plains and homes are way overpriced here. To move to new house will be paying almost 100K more for same square footage without basement. So was wondering if adding basement right now and in future if need be can extend 2nd floor. I was expecting the cost around 30 to 40 K which is our total budget for basement. Rest we have separate budget for finishing the basement and me and my brother are quiet handy and can do it ourself including some plumbing and electrical. does that sound right budget?

Old 05-03-16, 09:27 AM
Group Moderator
Possibly. Like I said, local estimates are the way to go... things are bound to cost more there than they do here!

Old 05-03-16, 01:45 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
If you were starting with a vacant lot, your budget might be ok, but having to work under and around an existing house will make progress slow and in construction, time is big money.

You also mentioned a small lot which might complicate what they can use for equipment.

Don't mention you are just shopping, but call a couple of contractors and hear what they have to say. The bids in the construction industry can sometimes rise and fall depending upon how busy they are.

Another thought, would be the trend towards small houses, making what you have more functional.

Bud

Old 05-03-16, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A question: Do you want to add a full basement because you think it will be cheaper than a 2nd floor? Or is the deeper foundation required for the second floor, if ever desired?

If possible with the existing foundation, I would prefer a 2nd floor rather than basement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: