Basement Seepage-Perimeter Drain instructions

Old 05-27-16, 09:12 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Basement Seepage-Perimeter Drain instructions

Hi All!
Just moved into a house, with alot of water seeping in from one side.
There is sump on the dry side, I would like to install a perimeter drain on the wet side and a sump.

I can barrow a demo hammer, do I need a cut in saw as well?
How far from out the perimeter of wall should I dig out?
How deep?

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-27-16, 09:24 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
The footing can be 2' wide so subtract the thickness of your walls and divide by 2. But it can be wider and the wall may not have been centered. They make long shaft masonry drills so you could estimate the edge and test. Filling holes or patching around a sump pit made with a jack hammer is rather easy.

Not sure where you are located, but often a radon system is tied in with a sump pit and the pit is covered and sealed. I like deeper pits where I can allow more water to accumulate before the pump triggers. Most can empty a pit in just s few seconds, so a bigger pit is no problem.

They make sump pits that you can install, mush better than a makeshift mud bucket.

Bud

Old 05-27-16, 01:34 PM
D
Thank you!

In the existing sump, its just an open hole in the floor,
do you think Its safe to assume there isnt a sealed radon system? I would hate to open up something like that trying to put in the drain

Old 05-27-16, 01:38 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,287 Upvotes on 1,225 Posts
Have you exhausted the efforts outside to keep the water away in the first place - gutters, downspout extensions and grading?

Old 05-27-16, 02:00 PM
B
If a Radon system was installed or just prepared with the pipes under the slab and no fan you would still see the pipes exiting from the slab.

With the existing sump pit being just a hole in the floor it risks drawing sand and dirt into the pump and you need them to work when you need them.

I agree with ss the outside drainage is a high priority.

Also, having a second pump is good insurance. Seen several basements flooded when the pump failed.

Do you live on top of a hill or in a valley? Or just flat everywhere. Finding a gravity solution eliminates a lot of pain, like during a heavy rain and the power goes out. How many buckets do you own. Just joking, but I have helped on a few bucket bailing emergencies and we included pots and pans because there were only 2 small buckets.

Put your second sump pit in first to see if it affects the current leakage. I assume that leakage is through the wall.

Bud

Old 06-03-16, 06:35 AM
D
Thank you everyone for the help!
I looked into the suggestions about outdoor radin/water etc.
The house is on a slope, the rear of the house faces the slope, and that is where the water is seeping.
It is graded in the back, with a perforated plastic tube+gravel draine, and the gutters do have a underground extension leading the water away from the house. A rear porch covers the area in the back of the house, so I cant get a great idea of what it looks like.
I did notice there is alot of leafs etc.. in the gutter to be cleaned out.

In the basement there is just a 1 inch perimeter following the walls leading water to the open pit sump. Right now it is all clogged with mud, which is entering with the water seepage. I attached some pictures, you will notice the huge boulder in the basement, which apprently is common in this rocky area.

My plan was to cut into the basement and install a proper drain with a sump in the corner right next to the seepage. But I read you can not do this if it is a monolithic foundation, how do I know what type of foundation I have?

Would it be a good idea to install a proper "french" type drain along that back wall?Name:  IMG_0378.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  33.5 KBName:  IMG_0377.jpg
Views: 1142
Size:  34.1 KBName:  IMG_0379.jpg
Views: 927
Size:  36.0 KBName:  IMG_0380.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  50.1 KBName:  IMG_0378.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  33.5 KB

Old 06-03-16, 06:53 AM
B
Not a foundation expert but I don't think you have a monolithic foundation. Looks like a standard blosk wall with a poured slab. But, that big rock is telling me you are probably above a ledge and water from a long ways away will follow a ledge right to your basement. Very difficult to control from outside.

Do what you can to control outside surface water, but a perimeter drain would not be a bad idea, IMO.

Note, some of the white coloring on those blocks looks like efflorescence, moisture evaporating through the blocks and leaving the minerals behind. Common for block walls to leak on the outside at one place and pass the water along to about any other part of the foundation.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: