Can a crawl space be eliminated?

Old 07-04-16, 09:36 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can a crawl space be eliminated?

I have a house with a really low crawl space. I probed areas and there maybe 2 feet of clearance from standing on the top of the floor to the crawl space floor.

- Digging out trenches will not likely be an option.
- Digging a basement is not an option.

Leaves me 2 options:
1) Removing the floors to water proof, insulate, plastic and fix floor sags (jacking).
This option is going to be expensive and to do an service again like pipes, wires, ducts etc is going to be crazy to tear out flooring again.
Not to mention all the floor joists (i think they are called) are probably almost done for business.

2) Could I literately take out the floors, concrete the ground, install a sub floor?
Run heating and cooling ducts from top (use attic)?
Theoretically I would have higher ceilings, I would also build a bathroom with stairs and 3 feet from floor so I can access piping and service it if needed.
I understand I will need to call in a engineer to detect any load bearing walls.

My floors sags, I have no room to work under the house and to install supports and water proofing is not going to happen in that space.

So that leaves me the the million dollar question. Can I completely eliminate the crawl space all together? Tear out the floor, lay concrete and maybe tile my whole place?

Just some info. The crawl space is maybe 1 foot off ground level. Seems pointless it exists.

House is 36 x 24, single story. 24 x 24 is the front part and a 12 x 24 was added on.

I think of it as a basement floor, they exist, I just never seen one as a main floor.

Thanks for any input.

Old 07-04-16, 09:57 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Please properly fill in your profile so we know where you are located.

Is Americanized English a second language for you?

You have made three references to the depth of the crawl space from a minimum of 12 inches to a maximum of 36 inches, what IS the depth (height) of the crawl space? I have worked in crawls that were 18 inches high at the highest point and only about 12 inches at the lowest point. It is NOT fun but it is possible. Well, not anymore for me but certainly for any normal sized person.

Rather than trying to pour concrete in the existing space it may make more sense to lift the entire house.
Not to mention all the floor joists (i think they are called) are probably almost done for business.
What do you mean, "...done for business?" Are you stating the joists are rotten and need to be replaced? If this is true is the house even habitable? Would it perhaps make more sense to tear it down (or deconstruct) and then start over?

Old 07-04-16, 10:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

There is a choice for selecting Canada in your personal bio information.

Duct work in the attic..... not the best choice especially in a cold climate.

Old 07-04-16, 10:33 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
What have you done on the outside of the house to keep water away from the house and crawlspace? Gutters, downspout extensions and grading are common tools in this endeavor.

Old 07-05-16, 03:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Some pics of your house would help us better understand what you are dealing with. Could you also take pics of the suspect floor joists? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

My youngest son's house has a real tight crawlspace After you get past the back wall most of it has 12" or less thankfully the plumbing is at or near the back wall.

Old 07-05-16, 05:58 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I agree with the above comments and don't see an easy solution. Even what you propose will be a major project as you will find more problems as your dig into it. As Ford said, if those floor joists need to be replaced, ouch, they are connected in many places.

I have helped dig out under a close floor space and it can be done, especially if you hire people who do that. They are used to manual labor and tight spaces. Once excavated a few feet dealing with your other issues becomes easier.

By the way, welcome to the forum, and Furd is really a nice guy .

Bud

Old 07-05-16, 07:31 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
In truth, I am NOT a "nice" guy. A nice guy will tell you what you want to hear, I'm a good guy and I will tell you what you need to know, even if it is not what you want to hear.

Old 07-05-16, 07:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
When digging the crawlspace lower you need to pay attention to how deep the foundation footer is. You can't dig lower than the footer without implementing a plan to shore it up.

Old 07-05-16, 08:44 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
@Furd, I stand corrected ......................................

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: