expanded polystyrene insulation removal

Old 07-19-16, 01:26 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
expanded polystyrene insulation removal

Hi,

I have a 25 year old house that I recently purchased with a cold cellar underneath the porch and it has quite a bit of mold on the white expanded polystyrene insulation glued to the cold cellar ceiling. The cold cellar door is made of wood and I plan to switch that to an insulated steel door with weatherstripping all around.

I have done some research on this and have found that this is not the proper type of insulation and want to replace it with extruded polystyrene foam boards instead.

A couple of questions:

1) what is the best way to remove the old insulation, treat the mold and to put up the new insulation (glue?)

2) the wall leading into the cold cellar is bare concrete. Do I also need to add extruded foam boards on that wall? Are vapour barriers required?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-16, 05:09 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi nedrad and welcome to the forum.
I'll need more details to help, but isolating a cold space like that does not eliminate the moisture issue and mold has no problem growing in those cool temperatures. The two options are to either insulate that space from the house above and then ventilate it, which in your cold climate becomes an issue, or insulate the perimeter walls and condition that space like your house.

Some questions to see if you fall into either of those options.
1. What are the basement (cellar) walls made of?
2. How about the basement floor, concrete, dirt, other?
3. Any obvious moisture sources down there, sump pump, wet spots, other?

Bud