Attic rafter problems

Old 08-28-16, 02:28 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Attic rafter problems

I am considering converting my attic to a finished livable space. I live in a 130 year old home in Eastern Ontario, Canada. The home was hand built and all the wood was hand milled by the person who built the home. We have completed many renos, but on this space, I am stumped. I will explain as best as I possibly can.

The Attic space is large and wide open. Before starting the project, we have had to remove thousands of lbs of junk that was up there. My parents owned the home and were collectors of everything. My father died and I bought the home to keep it in the family.

The roof is a Hip style roof. The rafters do not have any consistency in size or spacing. They range from 24 to 32 inches apart and use varying sized boards. Some are 2x6, some are 2x7...to put it plainly, none of the boards are exactly the same size (except that they are all literally 2 inches wide).

My issue (if it isnt apparent) is that I cannot think of a practical way to finish the walls or sloped ceiling. With the varying sized rafters, the walls would be all wavy. The size differences would be almost prohibitive to use shims, and even if I did shim the rafters, the spacing between rafters is going to be an issue.

The only legitimate idea I had was possibly to install a new metal frame that would essentially hang from the old rafters. I think this would allow me to create a new flat surface. I assumed that metal studs would decrease the load on the roof (vs wood). The roof is also supported by ~4' 2x6 struts (visually it appears as if the owners were tring to frame knee walls.

I am not sure what a person would need to know to answer this puzzle, but I am happy to gather any required info.

Just as a point of interest, the roof is currently in good shape and is not visibly sagging or warping.

Thanks in advance for ANY help or ideas.

Old 08-28-16, 04:25 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Your code requirements in Canada will be different, actually they are different everywhere, state by state or Canada, But you will need to determine those requirements. Given the complexity I would suggest starting with someone at the design stage, engineer or architect. They will also know the codes and be able to evaluate what you have and what you need to add.

Converting an attic space to living space is often a challenge, meeting egress, structural support, and insulation requirements. Best to get off on the right foot with a good design. Makes permit applications much easier.

Bud

Old 08-29-16, 06:49 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your response. I will have to find a way to get a professional here to create a plan.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: