Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Contractor left hole in basement floor after moving plumbing.

Old 09-12-16, 08:53 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We are getting our basement finished by a contractor. He had to break the basement floor to move the shower drain as it was roughed in too close to the wall, and shower stall wouldn't have fit there. He had to hammer jack a "hole", which was about 1-1.5ft in diameter, and about foot deep. After extending the shower drain so it was farther from the wall, he just put the shower stall base on top of it without filling the hole with cement/concrete first. He said it wasn't needed. Does it matter? Should I be worried? They have just put up drywall on the frames so if I insist that they fill the hole in the floor, they would have to take down the drywalls to do that. So, I want to make sure that the hassle was worth it. Could you please provide some guidance? Thanks much

Old 09-12-16, 09:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,343 Votes on 1,241 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I would have expected to have the hole filled as it supports the center of the shower pan.
What was used for a shower base..... can you shoot and post a picture for us ?

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 09-13-16, 08:05 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you very much for all your help and comments.
We asked, and he obliged by filling in the hole with cement and gravel that was originally dug out.

PS. We did take out permits (two of them are required in our jurisdiction for this work: plumbing and electrical. Inspector has been by for the initial inspection. Some deficiencies were found in plumbing work. He will come by later for final inspection.

We are using 2x4 and 2x6 lumber bought from HomeDepot (the yellow/pale coloured--spruce?) for framing. The same kind you see being used everywhere.

Regular DryWall is being used everywhere. He plans to paint it with Kitchen/Bathroom paint. One gallon of this from Behr (HomeDepot) was almost twice the price of regular paint. The ceramic tiles going on this drywall comments now concern me...

Old 09-14-16, 01:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,343 Votes on 1,241 Posts
The ceramic tiles going on this drywall comments now concern me...
YES.... that would concern me too.

In my opinion.....
Shower tile (where water can hit directly) should not be installed on any type of sheetrock.
Using sheetrock as the backer, no mater what it's painted with, is a recipe for disaster.
I would demand cement board for my tile backer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: