Eliminating basement windows / need a vent?

Old 10-19-16, 10:37 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Eliminating basement windows / need a vent?

I have two very small windows that on the exterior have a window well and window covers that are just eyesores.

My plan is to close them up with block and fill in the window wells. There is no water there now. From prior owner, my understanding is that there used to not be any gutters (1900 house) and there was water. Been in house 2 years - its all dry. The interior of those windows are in a Utility Room that has HVAC unit, so that room is cool in summer, and warm in winter. the other window is just 10 feet away, and actually behind a drywall wall, but it actually is immediately adjascent to this utility room and the drywall wall is totally open into this utility room if that makes sense. In other words, lots of airflow into that utility room.

So, question is - should I put a foundation vent in one or both places? Or since this is not a crawlspace and technically a finished baesment, is just closing them up good?

The other side of the utility room has a basement window. I do run a de-humidifier in the baesment in the summer. It's a "moist" basement as its a 1900 house with rock / sandstone foundation (pourouS!!!) But - knock on wood - no water whatsoever.

Thanks so much for your thoughts on above. sorry so wordy.

Old 10-19-16, 11:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Upvotes on 631 Posts
Not sure why you would consider installing a foundation vent to the basement, that would be like leaving a window cracked open all the time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: