How to finish basement flooring?

Old 11-06-16, 03:16 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to finish basement flooring?

Hi there!

Our basement is about 500 sqft, about 150 sqft of it I plan on dedicating to a home theater whereas the rest will be a common living space.

Right now, there is drywall (which has about a 1.5cm gap from the floor), and non-asbestos vinyl tile on the floor. This tile has been incredibly difficult to remove (with and without power tools), so I am not removing it. The floor is not entirely level - I've leveled the absolute worst parts, however. The ceiling is a drop ceiling.

My main question right now is what to do regarding the flooring. I've seen before on here people have used floating floor underlayments like DRICore and Delta FL, and I'm wondering what I should do? Moisture intrusion is a possibility (I live in Chicagoland). DRICore seems out as it requires a level surface otherwise it is apparently very noisy, whereas DeltaFL apparently requires plywood for carpeting (not entirely sure why - I'd imagine that carpeting would be more forgiving than faux wood) which will be difficult to get downstairs in large amounts. What is my best approach here, given my conditions as well as the multiple uses of the room?

Thanks!

Old 11-06-16, 03:56 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I think you need to take a step back between the comments about the current flooring and the floor underlayment panels and confirm what kind of flooring you want to install?

Old 11-06-16, 07:54 AM
A
My present plan is carpet.

Old 11-06-16, 01:16 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
As you indicated carpet is the most forgiving flooring you can install, if the low spots are really bad, really deep then a few bags of the floor leveler may be used to take care of the worst areas.

Just be sure to seal off the low spots to keep the leveler where you want it so it does not leak into another room.

Old 11-06-16, 05:06 PM
A
What is your suggestion regarding underlayment? Should I install a floating floor?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: