Skim coat of concrete on basement floor?

Old 11-15-16, 05:45 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skim coat of concrete on basement floor?

Hello, this is my first time posting on this forum so please excuse my learning curve.

I have a basement that doesnt flood but it has a general dampness due to small hairline cracks in the concrete. I have chiseled some of the larger cracks out and filled them with hydraulic cement but am still getting moisture in. The surface of the current concrete is is rough shape and I think a new layer of concrete would help keep moisture out, am I correct in assuming that?

If a skim coat of 1/4"-1/2" would work, what brand/type of concrete would I use? Suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks!

Old 11-15-16, 06:32 PM
J
Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts
Just never going to happen.
Impossible to seal a slab from the top side.
The cracks have nothing to do with why it leaks, that's just where your seeing the issue.
Have you taken all the necessary steps on the outside to prevent moisture issues in the inside?
Gutters leading away from the foundation, grade running away, no mulch piled up against the foundation, no flower beds forming ponds?
Is there a drain tiles under the slab?
A sump pump?

Old 11-16-16, 12:28 AM
T
Nothing up against the house and gutters are draining about 15 feet from the foundation on a down slope. I do have a sump pump that just helps lower the water table from under the slab. I dont know what drain tiles are.

I have only lived in this house for about a year so I am still figuring stuff out about it.

Old 11-16-16, 07:32 AM
J
Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts
Old 11-16-16, 09:15 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,177 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Joe's right, your house was just not built to have a moisture-free basement. If you've done everything you can to move water away on the outside, then you've done everything you can.

Sorry, I'm aware this was not the answer you wanted.

Old 11-16-16, 02:57 PM
Be careful with overlay products. Most do not work, and any time you try to put new good concrete on top of old bad concrete you are setting yourself up for failure. If you really were adamant about having a moisture free floor, you would probably need to remove the floor, backfill with gravel, put down a vapor barrier shield (like 6-10 mil poly) and then install a new floor.

This is assuming there is no water getting in from the outside, and there are no deep rooted moisture issues below your home.

Sincerely, Mo Sandoval

Last edited by PJmax; 11-16-16 at 03:46 PM. Reason: removed business link

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: