Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Water coming up where tack strip for carpet installed.

Old 12-18-16, 05:14 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi All,
After heavy rains my carpet in my finished basement was wet. I ripped out the drywall and found no source of water. The studs and insulation were dry and where the slab meets the foundation it was dry. However, when I ripped up the carpet there was water coming up through a divet in the concrete, the divet being about half an inch deep. The tack strip is installed right over top of this divet. Also it only happens in certain areas of the basment. My best guess is water under the slab and fix would be to patch and seal the divet. I am looking for other opinions. Thank you.

Old 12-18-16, 05:39 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 359 Votes on 316 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I doubt patching the divot in the concrete will stop the water. If the water is under the slab you'd likely need a drain system and pump. The odds are it's a foundation wall issue. How old is your house? Are there gutters? and do they pipe away from the house? does the exterior grade go towards or away from the house?

Old 12-18-16, 05:49 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The house is roughly 60 years old. Yes gutters are installed and they do pipe away. The grade in front is slightly away and the grade in back is greatly away. Only the front 3rd of the basement is underground the rest is not. The leaks happens on the front side that is under dirt. There is roughly a 30 degree angle from front to the back so the driveway is flat at the front runs next to house then takes a steep slope until the backyard and flattens out.

Old 12-18-16, 06:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 359 Votes on 316 Posts
The odds are the foundation needs to be sealed from the outside and drain tile installed if not already there. Some of the others know more about basement water mitigation than I do so stay tuned and see what they have to say.

Old 12-18-16, 09:51 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
You may be fighting a high water table and be forced to utilize some kind of mitigation system instead of being able to keep the water out entirely.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: