Frost in attic, peeling paint in bathroom

Old 01-09-17, 10:00 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Frost in attic, peeling paint in bathroom

Hi guys,

Okay, so I'm going to throw out probably way more info than needed, but I'm not sure what is relevant or isn't, so I'm putting it all out there.

Current issue -- frost in attic above bathroom, peeling paint in bathroom

Timeline:
May 2016 - had our hip roof replaced with asphalt shingles.
We left for a vacation and came back two weeks later to find a leak in the NEW roof. (A leak that wasn't there previously) Rain was coming through directly through a gap in shingles, AND through the bathroom fan vent. The roofer came back, re-shingled that area and re-sealed the bathroom vent. And we thought the problem had been solved.

Fast forward to this winter -- the bathroom mentioned above started peeling all over the ceiling and cracking between the crown molding and wall. My husband dismissed the peeling, saying we probably just aren't using the exhaust fan enough. But we do during and after EVERY shower.

I went into the attic today to put Christmas decorations away, and found frost on the plywood and rafters in the EXACT area of the original leak from May.

Clearly, this seems to be a moisture issue - - but where is it originating? Does that mean we still have a moisture/leak issue in that area of the roof? Or could it be related to a moisture leak in the bathroom fan? Or issues with the insulation? Or something else altogether? Lots of moving parts to this and I'm not sure which is the cause vs. the symptoms? And what do we do or who should we call to have this fixed?

We will be repainting the bathroom soon, but I want to make sure this is all resolved before putting more money into and facing this same issue later down the road.

Pictures: Frost is in the dark corner (where the leak originated in May 2016), white vent is for the bathroom fan. Insulation pictured is directly above bathroom.

(Not sure why pictures are rotated, apologies!)
Name:  IMG_0570.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  39.3 KB
Name:  IMG_0571.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  35.4 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-17, 10:04 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 682 Votes on 629 Posts
That looks like a roof leak. Are you able to get up on the roof and take some pictures from the outside?

Old 01-09-17, 10:05 AM
A
I can try -- could that be contributing to the peeling paint, also?

Old 01-09-17, 10:11 AM
A
Name:  FullSizeRender(1).jpg
Views: 265
Size:  31.8 KB

Not the best perspective, but hopefully this helps?

Old 01-09-17, 10:19 AM
A
Also, if it is a lingering roof leak, can we still hold the roofer responsible for the damage?

Old 01-09-17, 10:21 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Is that the exhaust vent from the bathroom fan we're seeing? If so, I'd be curious to see whether it's getting condensation on it when the fan is in use.

Old 01-09-17, 10:23 AM
A
The white vent in the original photos in the attic is the bathroom fan. How would we be able to tell and what could that mean?

Old 01-09-17, 10:55 AM
S
Group Moderator
Take a look up there after the fan has been running for a little while and see if there's condensation on the outside of the duct. You may have moisture from a roof leak or from condensation on the vent or both.

Old 01-09-17, 11:03 AM
A
If there is condensation, how do we remedy that? What kind of professional would I call in?

Old 01-09-17, 11:09 AM
S
Group Moderator
Let's find out whether it's an issue first.

Old 01-09-17, 11:30 AM
A
Ran the shower with hot water and the fan for about 20 minutes. No apparent condensation in the attic.

The spot of frost in the attic is no longer frozen (the outdoor temperature has risen a bit, and I've now been up and down the attic a few times today) But it is clearly still damp. (See picture below)

Original leak was May 2016 and repaired, but the wood still looks the same as it did in May -- we put fans on the spot back then to dry it out, but it still looks dark and damp.

What to do next?

Name:  IMG_0577.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  34.2 KB

Old 01-09-17, 12:36 PM
S
Group Moderator
Does it ever dry out? I would be putting a fan in there to get it dry so you can start looking for a pattern as to when it gets wet.

Old 01-09-17, 01:05 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
peeling paint

Unless you see moisture damage in the bath rm the peeling paint might only be slightly related to the attic/roof issue. When was your house built? Peeling paint in bath rms is usually caused by latex paint being applied over old oil base enamel without the proper prep.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 01-09-17, 01:54 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
I'm guessing from the picture, 2 high roof vents on this side but I can't tell what you have for soffit or low venting. You need good ventilation to dry that and prevent it from accumulating.

Bud

Old 01-09-17, 02:03 PM
A
Bud -- unfortunately, the main central part of our house doesn't have soffit or any other low venting, just those high roof vents. I think you're right that poor circulation is probably a large portion of our issue, but not sure what to do to fix it? I had expected the heat throughout the summer to have dried out that roof leak (assuming it was properly fixed), but apparently not.

Our house was built in 1948, we bought it and moved in almost three years ago. The bathrooms had been renovated in the 90s -- so the peeling paint could be an issue with latex over oil paint.

But just panicked over the moisture and potential mold in attic, especially after just spending $6k+ on a new roof.

Old 01-09-17, 02:34 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
It is possible the moisture you see is entirely due to condensation from no venting. With only high vents the concept that warm air will rise and exit has two flaws. One, warm air doesn't rise by itself but is displaced by colder air (from somewhere) and pushed up and out. For the air to exit it also needs incoming air to replace it which doesn't happen easily with all vents being in a high location at the sale level.

There are a couple of low vent options for homes without soffits, perhaps a closer picture of what you have. Where we now know that a vapor barrier is not entirely necessary, air sealing is and being built in 48 they would not have addressed the many large and small leaks we now hunt down. Bath vent pipes are often one of the larger leak areas unless previously sealed. Several more to check if you haven't.

Bud

Old 01-09-17, 07:36 PM
M
How do I start my own forum with a question?

Old 01-10-17, 03:42 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Welcome to the forums Mmorrissey, at the top left of each forum sub section is a yellow box that says 'post new thread' click on it to start your own thread.