Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Anyone tried RMR-86 for removing mold from back of roof sheathing?

Old 01-09-17, 08:41 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I'd like to believe it really works, but it seems too good to be true.
And, when something seems too good to be true, it usually is not true at all.
The videos on YouTube are impressive (of course!).
When I make a rare trip into the attic crawl space, I see, what appears to be, lots of black mold on the plywood sheathing.
The attic is better ventilated now than it was when we bought the house around 25 years ago, but the old mold is still there. I'd really like to get rid of it without spending a fortune.
Does anyone have real world experience with RMR-86?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-17, 09:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,171 Votes on 1,086 Posts
A recent thread on a similar subject http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ba...ttic-mold.html

Never heard of it and never used it. Was just reading the reviews. Must work pretty well when no negative reviews are listed.

In the SDS it lists Sodium hypochlorite and surfactants (HD bleach and soap) as ingredients.

Old 01-10-17, 09:15 AM
S
Thanks for the reply Pete (@PJmax) and thanks for the link. In the linked-to thread, JoeCaption made a strong case for Bora-Care with Mold-Care. The OP asked the question, "Does Bora-Care with Mold-Care get rid of the stains?" That question was never answered (an important consideration in my case). So, does anyone know if Bora-Care with Mold-Care gets rid of the stains?

Thanks again.

Old 01-11-17, 05:43 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
If you have removed the moisture then id bet the mold is dead. You could spray just about any cleaner to kill the mold. BBJ, Bleach, Foster 40-80, etc etc. With most products you will still have the stain. Thats not a big deal IMO

Old 01-11-17, 07:39 AM
S
Thanks for your reply @airman.1994
I agree that, from a practical point of view, if the mold is "dead" it's probably not a problem anymore--although I have heard of some people having reactions to the "dead" stuff.
My concern with respect to staining is that, when I eventually sell my house, I could be forced to take a hit in the selling price if the buyer's inspector declares that there is evidence of mold.
So, I'd really like to find a solution that will effectively kill any existing mold AND remove the stains.

Thanks again.