Basement/Crawl Space Flooring Options

Old 01-15-17, 12:59 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement/Crawl Space Flooring Options

I have a stand up basement/crawl space in my home. You access it from inside the home and it's just under 6 feet high. So I guess technically it is a basement.

We never plan on finishing this space. Currently the floor is gravel and I don't think there is a vapor barrier under it.

Although we never plan on finishing it, I do want to tidy it up a bit since it's a large space (825 sq feet) and good for possible storage, etc. I also want to control the moisture better down there.

So my plan was to put in a vapor barrier over the walls and gravel floor.

I thought about putting DriCore panels over the vapor barrier to make a nice floor or even a concrete slab.

But with 825 sq feet, dricore costs about $1350 and a 4 inch slab would even cost a few grand.

Any other ideas out there of what I can put over this floor just to make it a little nicer?? But something a little easier on the wallet?

Old 01-15-17, 01:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If you have access to the exterior like a coal chute or window, I would cover the gravel with 10 mil plastic and have concrete delivered. They can mix it with additives and make it a slurry so it almost self levels. You are talking about over 10.5 cubic yards of concrete, and yes, it will be expensive, but you will have a good dry floor. Dricore panels, IMO, you will NEVER get level enough to walk on without seams popping up.

Old 01-15-17, 01:19 PM
C
Yeah, I really want concrete but not sure it's worth the few grand.

I may wind up just throwing another few ton of gravel over it and walking over the gravel.

It's a vacation property so I guess it's not that important to throw thousands at it.

Old 01-15-17, 01:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I agree. At 6' high and no continuous use, it may not be worth the added money.

Old 01-15-17, 01:32 PM
C
Thanks.

Good point about the DriCore and the seams.

I wasn't thinking about that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: