Recessed interior load bearing wall?

Old 01-27-17, 01:00 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recessed interior load bearing wall?

I was exploring my basement when I noticed that the all the load bearing walls visible in the house were recessed below the concrete slab. It appears on the design side that concrete pads/footings were poured in these areas per some diagrams I found, but I can't see it to be sure. When I looked at most pictures online of interior load bearing walls, it appeared the framing or bottom plate sat on top of the concrete pad whereas this sits a couple inches below. Name:  0127171345a.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  21.8 KB

Is this normal? Some other relevant info, all the load bearing walls appear to be 2x6, 16'' OC. No cracking in walls, everything appears to be sound and solid.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-17, 03:12 PM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
My best guess is the old floor was cracking, sinking, and or lifting and someone to "fix it" and just poured another floor.
Not a great idea but it is what it is.
Any of that blocking, or bottom plates that's not pressure treated is going to rot out.

Old 01-27-17, 07:49 PM
M
Joe, house is about 15 years old. This footing design looks like it was intended this way as the concrete around it is level. These recessed bottom plates are present in all visible locations (4 load bearing walls). Bottom plate and blocking are definitely pressure treated and all the wood looks really good. I can't imagine someone jackhammering that much concrete and repouring on a house this young...at any rate it all seems very solid to me.

Old 01-28-17, 04:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
There could have been a problem with the original slab and as a cheap/quick fix they poured more concrete on top of it.

The bottom plate appears to be pressure treated. Can't tell from the pic what was placed between the studs and the concrete but assume it was used both as a form board and protection for the non treated studs.

Old 01-28-17, 07:06 AM
M
Intresting. Thanks for the info. Yes, the form board is pressure treated as well. If one were to put wood on top of concrete slab is it mandated that pressure treated wood be used for framing and load bearing walls? My assumption is yes. Another reason why I was thinking that it was designed this way is that floor to ceiling the measurements are 8 ft perfectly. I've measured a bunch of joists at various locations and they are perfectly level. I may have to talk to the builder about this one.

Old 01-28-17, 07:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 677 Votes on 626 Posts
Looks to me like the sort of thing you might do when winter is coming and you wanted to get the footings in and the house deck framed but you saved the floor for later. Just guessing.

Old 01-28-17, 07:20 AM
M
Ill also add that I've measured the board depth in all locations I can see. Depth is exactly two inches in all locations (recessed two inches). I can see about 30 to 40 linear feet of this. Is it also possible that they poured the interior footings first, did some framing only on top of this, then came in and poured the rest using the form boards as a means of concrete depth to rest of basement? Sounds odd but also possible...

Old 01-28-17, 07:23 AM
M
Xsleeper, this is exactly what I'm beginning to think...

Last edited by m042926; 01-28-17 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention someone
Old 01-28-17, 09:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
wood on top of concrete slab is it mandated that pressure treated wood be used
Yes, anytime wood comes in contact with masonry it is supposed to be pressure treated.