Does this look like mold?

Old 02-01-17, 09:39 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Does this look like mold?

I am rehabbing a house I just purchased and came across something in my basement that I'm thinking could possibly be mold, but I'm not sure. The foundation is fieldstone. The house was built in 1920. The previous owner finished the walls and ceiling with drywall and fiberglass insulation behind it. No vapor barrier. There is a small hole cut into the wall to access the main water shutoff for the house. I pointed my camera in there today and took a few pics in different directions and saw this white stuff on the back of the drywall above the opening. Here's some pics:

Name:  IMAG1647.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  25.5 KB
Name:  IMAG1651.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  12.0 KB
Name:  IMAG1654.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  15.7 KB

When I search "white mold" online, I can't find anything that looks even remotely close to this. Also notice that there is absolutely no mold on the wood studs. In addition, this is the piece of drywall above the opening. When I looked at the piece below the opening, there was none of that white stuff on it.
Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-17, 11:29 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
It could be efflorescence from the Sheetrock also. White Mold vs Efflorescence ......Differences, Dangers, Dealing with Mold

Old 02-02-17, 05:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
I've never seen efflorescence on drywall [not saying it isn't possible] It's always been my understanding that efflorescence comes from moisture passing thru masonry. I wouldn't think it would jump the gap onto the drywall. You might try wiping an area of the drywall with bleach, if that removes it I'd be more inclined to think it's mold. Moisture trapped between the 2 walls makes mold likely

Old 02-02-17, 04:32 PM
J
Yes, I've got efflorescence on some cinder block at my house so I don't think this is the same thing. Strange because it just doesn't look like any pictures of mold that I've seen online.

Old 02-06-17, 08:01 AM
I don't think that this is mold. Mold usually has a darker or fuzzier look I believe. I'm no expert however but in my opinion it doesn't look like mold. I've had quite my share of mold around the house unfortunately, but it never looked like that