Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Accounting for gap between top plate of wall and ceiling

Old 02-13-17, 04:26 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am gathering parts for adding some walls in my basement. I was planning on building the walls on the ground then tipping them up.

It sounds like I need to build them 1/4" short to be able to tip them up. Once they are up - is there a need to stuff 1/4" plywood in the gap before nailing it to the ceiling? Or stick in some narrow shims and nail through that? Or just nail them?

Seems like margin of error might make stuffing something exactly 1/4" rough in parts. I know our ceiling has some dips and varies by almost an inch over 25' so we will measure/cut stud lengths individually.

I didn't see any youtube videos talking about the gap... most that I saw built them exact and pounded them in place which I think would be risky for screwing up the tile and wood floor above.

I ask now because I am going to measure and build the walls. Tip them up into position, mark around the bottom plate, tip the wall back down, cut out the current pergo flooring with a circular saw down to cement then tip the walls back up, stuff in a 1/2"x3.5" plywood to account for the now missing floor. I will order a thicker plywood if that 1/4" gap also needs to be filled.

Thoughts are appreciated!

Old 02-13-17, 05:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
It's going to be difficult to tip them in place. You will have more than 1/2" gap in order for them tip in. And that doesn't take into account high spots in your concrete. It is always better to stick build them.

Old 02-13-17, 07:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I agree it is always better to stick build them. No floor is perfect.

If you insist on building on the ground, install your top plate on the ceiling, build a wall on the ground that is about 1 5/8" shorter, then stand it up and slide it under the top plate. You will then have a double top plate once you nail them together.

Old 02-14-17, 07:48 AM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I don't insist on building on the ground. I am flip flopping from different information I am given and finding online I value input specific to my project.

New route:
Since the pergo floor is in place I need to tack up the top plate on the joint above, figure out exactly where the bottom plate goes so walls are straight and so that I can mark and cut the floor out (but not cut out door ways). Then I can mount the bottom plate to the cement and start cutting studs to fit.

Old 02-14-17, 01:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The wall is not load bearing and does not need to be pounded into place. Building it stick form allows for aberrations in the floor height. You will have them, you just don't know it yet. Locate where you want your wall, install the top plate and plumb bob down, or use a PLC laser to get the bottom in proper position. Then you can lay down a bottom plate for a template and mark 1/2" to either side of it for expansion of the flooring, taking into consideration your door opening(s).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: