Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Want to permanently solve mice problem in basement

Old 08-20-17, 08:31 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts

There's often mice in my basement. They have been known to climb up to the other floors. I had to kill one with a toilet plunger in my kitchen - it was looking up at me as I approached it - and since then I've been freaked out. Too freaked out to go into the basement or work on the house because who knows what's inside the walls. I go down to the basement periodically to check the traps and there's usually stinking dead mice in them. It's an ordeal that I have to work myself up for. I have traps and poison everywhere but that's not a real solution. The basement is not finished. I am not planning on finishing it, because I don't think you can because of moisture issues. I've read that you're supposed to let the walls 'breathe'. But can I cement around the inside of the perimeter of the basement where the walls touch the slab? The mice must be getting in through tiny cracks in the wall or the slab is my guess. I could be wrong about that. Or would cementing it cause more moisture issues? And would cementing that way even solve the problem.

Old 08-20-17, 10:36 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
They can get trough some very tiny spots.

It's a DIY site but you sound like someone who would benefit from calling a pro.

Old 08-20-17, 10:51 AM
What kind of pro? A mason? A pest control guy? Something else?

Old 08-20-17, 08:19 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Sorry, pest control person is who I meant.

Old 08-21-17, 11:02 AM
I had a pest control guy in here last year. I asked him if cement would solve the problem. He said yes, absolutely. But we didn't go into details on what to cement, or exactly where or how. I don't know what I'm supposed to cement or if that would cause water damage.

Old 08-21-17, 11:21 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
Having a house "breath" does not mean having holes exposed to the outside. How old is your home? Can you post a picture or two of a typical basement wall, including where the joists set on it? Maybe you need some mortar work or something like that, but it might be as easy as some spray foam, caulk, duct seal, or things along that line, which are all in the realm of a homeowner. Mice are not supernatural, they are born and die just like we do, so while they may continue to sneak in through open garage doors, pet doors, etc., you can keep them from coming in other places. And they do like to eat, so make sure that edibles such as extra food for yourself, pet food, grass seed, etc. are stored in sealed containers. As far as gaps in your basement walls, sometimes it can be as easy as turning the lights on down there and walking the perimeter of the house in the evening, looking for slivers of light. Other times it is a matter of carefully inspecting the exterior, foot by foot, for any places that need to be sealed, and you really shouldn't need an "expert" to at least do that.

Old 08-21-17, 11:56 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A mouse can get into through a hole the size of a dime. I watched one flatten out an get through a 1/4" gap. Put some talcum powder down to see what route they are taking. An exterminator will put down traps for you....not sure if they will seal the holes and gaps for you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: