Adding height to a basement

Old 09-13-17, 06:19 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Adding height to a basement

I am in the process of hiring a contractor to refinish a basement. He gave me an option to (if possible) increase the height of the basement. There is some space in between the current ceiling and the floor above. I assume that there are electrical components and other items in between the ceiling and the floor above it. The extra cost would be $2,000. I am not concerned about the price. I was wondering if raising the ceiling would result in any negative consequences. Any thoughts?

Old 09-13-17, 06:50 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Pictures would help. How would he increase the ceiling? The joist are already in place that make up the floor for the ground level or floor above. Certainly he can't possibly think about replacing them with smaller ones or cut the existing one? !!! Is there an existing room or ceiling already in place (a drop ceiling perhaps)? What is the current floor to ceiling height now? Would his idea of making the ceiling higher result in the joist showing?

Old 09-13-17, 07:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
The only way to raise the ceiling is to either lift the house or lower the floor but I suspect you might mean removing a drop ceiling and installing drywall to the bottom of the floor joists. If so, a lot depends on how everything was run. The main reason for a drop ceiling in a basement is so you have easy access to the plumbing and other mechanicals. It is also often used to hide duct work and such that is below the joists. They can be boxed in with a soffit. More info would be helpful!

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 09-13-17, 09:24 AM
F
Marksr, you are exactly right. It is a drop ceiling. I guess he is suggesting to get rid of the drop, hide whatever is in the ceiling and put the sheet rock right below the ceiling of the floor above it. My concern is that there will be no space between the two floors and that if you are in the basement, you would hear people waling on the first floor. I am not really sure if there would be any other issues. Obviously, he would not remove or alter any support beams that stand vertical in the basement.

Old 09-13-17, 09:28 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I would really want to know what the contractor was going to do for the $2'000 and how well they will do it. They may need to relocate wiring, water and drain lines. Since it's not a simple repair but removing and installing new in a new location it will likely will require a permits a couple licensed trades. I would be hesitant to let "some guy" simply relocate wiring and plumbing lines. I've seen too many jobs where mistakes were made. Electrical is usually a problem as unskilled people hack about thinking it's OK to move or extend wiring and then bury splices and connections behind the walls when finishing the space. Care must also be taken with drain lines. They must be sloped downhill and if they get it wrong you'll have clogs. Also, there are specific limits on how and where they can drill holes through floor joists.

Old 09-13-17, 09:43 AM
F
How do I subscribe to this thread?

Last edited by PJmax; 09-13-17 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-13-17, 02:55 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Bet for just 2K there is not much being done except removing the drop ceiling and putting up whatever.

Your ceiling tiles dont do a lot to cut down noise, if you want to eliminate noise there are many options.

When I did my ceiling I used 6" of the denim insulation, that stuff is fantastic at cutting noise down!

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/at...1&d=1505339723

Attached Images  
Old 09-13-17, 03:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
You are subscribed.

When in advanced editor/reply mode..... scan down below the reply box..... you'll see " manage attachments" and directly below that you'll see "thread subscription".

I would never have a house with a sheetrocked basement. That eliminates just about all future changes and makes repairs next to impossible.

As an electrician I've been asked to create miracles to run cables thru a rocked basement ceiling. Not usually happening.

Old 09-14-17, 02:05 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I installed an Armstrong ceiling tile and just recently had to fish a new tv cable to an old box that caused me to have to cut some openings but they were relatively easy to repair.

Cable guy was relieved that he did not have to do the holes but it would have been a lot more work if it were drywall.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/at...1&d=1505379925

Attached Images  
Old 09-14-17, 06:03 AM
K
I like the look of that ceiling. Neither here nor there but the few times I've had a cable or internet guy come out I won't let them install any cable. I request they string their cable out in the open to test the equipment and then I run the cable myself. Small town so they are just happy to move on to the next job and I am happy to not have holes drilled in the side of my house and the like.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: