1950's home, basement main support beam question

Old 12-29-17, 03:08 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1950's home, basement main support beam question

My house was built in 1950, poured concrete basement, with 8x8 wooded posts every 10 feet to support a main support beam made up of four 2x8's laminated (nailed together) along the center spine of the house

The clearance of the floor to bottom of the support beam is only 80 inches. the remainder of the ceiling is 88inches to the floor

I wish to install a basement bathroom.

Creating a 4 or 6" sub-floor to allow drain pipes to have the proper slope reduces the clearance under the main support beam to as low as 6'1" making for a very short door. Door and wall will have to be built under the main support beam, its the only viable option without turning the area into a series of little cubicles

1. cut into the cement foundation to lay the drains to avoid the clearance loss
or
2. install two jack posts under the main beam 40" apart and notch the main beam between.

any other suggestions?

Old 12-29-17, 03:43 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
I wouldn't notch any main support beam, especially if they are only 2x8's. By todays building codes that is almost over spanned by a factor of 2 with supports being at 10' intervals.

It is traditional to jack up the slab to lay drain lines and bury them into the soil beneath the foundation. Then repour new cement after completion.

Old 01-27-18, 05:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aurbo99 View Post
I wish to install a basement bathroom........Creating a 4 or 6" sub-floor to allow drain pipes to have the proper slope......

any other suggestions?
Since drainage is question, how about one of those lift pumps? My buddy has a bathroom in his basement, and he has a lift pump box behind his toilet. The shower and sink are plumbed into it too. I seem to remember his toilet, and shower being up on a raised platform a bit. Works like a charm.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: