Identify attic insulation type?

Old 03-10-18, 06:29 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Identify attic insulation type?

I live in Pittsburgh in a home built in 1916. I have lived in the house about three years. The house has no attic access and appears to have never had attic access, so we have never known what is in the attic, and specifically what type of insulation is up there.

The fan in bathroom broke so I went to pull it down and replace. In the process I got a look at the attic (no dead bodies). The attached pictures is what came down above the ceiling (now in a ziploc bag), and what I was able to take a picture of in the attic.

Based on my internet searches it looks like rock wool/mineral wool. I would appreciate input if others agree/disagree. Given the era the house was built, and the fact that there is no access to attic (likely ruling out insulation being added years after home was constructed), it seems unlikely there is asbestos in attic, as asbestos did not become ubiquitous in the US until 1919 at the earliest, from what I can tell. The pictures I have seen of vermiculite insulation also do not match what I have seen based on sticking my camera up there.

Any feedback on this would be great. Thanks!

Attached Images    
Old 03-10-18, 06:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
That's what we call rock wool around here.

Old 03-11-18, 06:20 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Looks like wool to me also and not nearly enough of it.
I'd also guess the attics never been air sealed.
https://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm...sulation_table

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: