Painting basement walls after waterproofing

Old 05-05-18, 05:14 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Painting basement walls after waterproofing

My basement was recently waterproofed from the outside. The wall had some long vertical cracks and has taken abuse for many years since the home is over 60 years old and was surrounded by clay expansive soil. They removed all the clay expansive soil, drilled holes in the block on the outside and put in rebar re-enforced with concrete. They used a portland cement based sealant then applied a coating of elastomeric waterproofing. Lastly they hung heavy gauge polyethylene dimpled drainage mat around the home. All drainage tile was replaced which got rid of the old clogged clay pipes. They backfilled to with gravel 18" from grade and topped it off with dirt. So far everything is good, however the interior wall still looks awful. I asked them about paining it and they recommended Thoroseal however I can't find it at the big box stores. I asked the person at Home Depot if Drylock paint would work and they said no because the wall was previously painted. They recommended some Bahr waterproofing masonary paint but reviews weren't very good. Any idea what I can use to paint this? I asked the waterproofing company about filling in the cracks on the inside and they said it's not necessary because everything is sealed on the outside.

Name:  w1.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  27.2 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 02-11-19 at 08:51 AM. Reason: resized picture
Old 05-05-18, 07:29 PM
J
Received 99 Votes on 87 Posts
Trying to paint this would become an on going maintenance issue.
The mold would need to be treated, to kill it, it would need to be pressure washed, a two part epoxy paint applyied, even then it may or may not hold up.
A box store is the last place to be getting painting advice (or anything for that matter) need to be going to a real paint store.

Old 05-05-18, 07:38 PM
S
Fortunately I donít think there is mold. The gray discoloration is just the color of the cinder block where the paint faded. The wall definitely got wet over the years but Iím confident itís going to stay dry now. Aside from a pressure wash, what cleaner could I use to to wash down the wall so itís ready for paint?

Old 05-05-18, 07:57 PM
J
Received 99 Votes on 87 Posts
Trust me there's mold on that wall.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Concrobi...5001/100654369

Old 05-06-18, 02:39 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Definitely mold or at least mildew. Since pressure washing is rarely a good idea inside, I'd scrub it down with a bleach solution - rinse well.

Most any wall paint is fine to go over the existing paint. I'd caulk any cracks just so the painted wall will look nicer. While I've heard good things about Thoroseal, I've never used it or even seen it for sale.

Old 05-18-18, 02:51 PM
S
Luckily the first picture I posted is by far the worst part of the wall. Here is another picture to show what the rest of it looks like. They had drilled and glued boards into the block to hang drywall at one point. What is the best way to remove the dried glue residue?

Thanks!

Name:  w2.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  18.1 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 02-11-19 at 08:52 AM. Reason: resized picture
Old 05-19-18, 03:05 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I've always scraped off what I could and then painted. Once the wall is painted those spots won't be as noticeable.

Old 05-20-18, 12:07 PM
S
good advice re the apron/vest stores,,, we use them for bagg'd conc but that's about it - never any pumps,,, find a reg const supply house - ask for xypex or kryton,,, you'll need to remove the existing coatings 1st

Old 06-08-18, 01:51 PM
S
Alright - so it's been a little over a month since the walls were waterproofed from the outside. Everything has remained dry and I have been running dehumidifiers non stop. I think the wall has dried out and I'm finally ready to paint but I've heard everything from "the wall is so moldy you have to power wash it" to "any wall paint will be fine." I sprayed the wall with the mold remover recommended but it still looks the same. As mentioned my first picture is the worst, most of the wall is fine as shown in my second picture.

1) Do I need to do anything to remove the existing paint or do I just paint over it?
2) Any particular brand or type of paint I should be using? Is one coat enough?

Thanks in advance for the continued home improvement help!

Old 06-08-18, 02:04 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If the wall still looks moldy you need to retreat it. If spraying alone isn't cleaning up - use a scrub brush. It doesn't need to be perfect but you want the majority of the mold removed. While pressure washing makes cleaning easier it really isn't for inside work.

You should be fine to apply your choice of paint after you are done cleaning. Don't forget to rinse off the cleaner's residue.

Old 06-08-18, 02:10 PM
S
Thanks, I don't think it looks moldy but there are some brown spots (I assume from all the years the wall got wet). I can try to use a brush on it as well. Is a bucket of soap and water enough to clean the residue once I'm done?

Old 06-08-18, 02:13 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Rinse it with just water.

Old 06-08-18, 02:24 PM
S
Ok thanks Marksr, have a good weekend!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title: