Basement treatment

Old 05-29-18, 04:08 PM
Received 11 Votes on 9 Posts
Basement treatment

I'm under contract to get a 1968 ranch home w basement. The basement seems in good condition... no moisture, leaks, stains, water, dry sump pit. Walls feel a little rough, and there's evidence that they painted the walls, but much of it is coming off.

What would you recommend, if any, for a cleaning or sealing of the wall once I move in? I plan to put in rooms later this year with a vapor barrier/ insulation/ 2x4 wall/ sheetrock.

Old 05-30-18, 04:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
The #1 reason for paint to peel on the inside of a foundation wall is moisture passing thru the foundation. IMO it's wiser to wait a whole year so you can verify that the walls stay dry in every season before covering them up.

Old 05-30-18, 07:08 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
A basement built in 68 had no effort put into waterproofing it. The fact that it looks dry only means any moisture passing through is evaporating before you see it. Add any type of moisture barrier and that vapor will accumulate into water and related problems. I'm not

Old 06-07-18, 07:33 AM
Received 11 Votes on 9 Posts
thanks, are there good coatings on the market that would seal the walls, not like a painted or rubberized coating, but a polymer or other absorbed coating for the inside walls that may act as a vapor barrier/retaradent?? or will that trap moisture in the walls from the outside and cause damage? I read one post that mentioned xypex or kryton coating?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: