Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Best practice for attaching sill plate in basement

Old 07-30-18, 09:52 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I'm adding two half walls to "divide" a large room in the basement. These two half walls will be 4.5' wide x 3' tall, with two decorative posts going up to the ceiling. I'm looking for suggestions / guidance on the best way to attach the sill plate to the concrete floor in the basement. In my search, I've primarily seen the following:

• 1. Use PT wood, attach with Tapcon screws
  • 2. Use PT wood, attach with Ramset pins
  • 3. Use Liquid Nails and attach 2x4 to concrete
  • 4. Use #2 fir, lay a 6mil vapor barrier, attach with Tapcons

These walls will not carry any load and are only being put in place to "partition" a large room so I can have an office / work area. In a perfect world, I'd like to find the best way to accomplish this as easily, but as soundly as possible. The basement concrete is solid and these two half walls will be permanent.

Thank you for any suggestions and guidance!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-18, 11:10 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 619 Votes on 572 Posts
The only reason you need to attach them is to hold them in place for cosmetic reasons. There is no code requirement for how they are attached. I would build the walls with columns so they fit very tight and use construction adhesive. If the wall doesn't fit tight enough so be secure with glue then I'd use a mechanical fastener like nails or screws into the concrete.

I generally like to Ramset for the ease but often use expanding masonry anchors if there is ever the chance I will want to remove it. When you drill the holes bore all the way through the concrete slab. Then bolt down the wall normally. In the future if you want to remove the wall you remove the nut from the anchors and drive them down flush with the concrete floor. No cutting or prying needed.

Old 07-30-18, 01:14 PM
Received 364 Votes on 340 Posts
Every wall I have ever built for non load basements was glue and 2 1/2 x 3/16 tapcons and have never had a failure to date!!

Old 07-30-18, 05:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 665 Votes on 615 Posts
PT wood sitting on a foam sill sealer, attached with 1/4" x 2 3/4 tapcons. (They don't make 2 1/2's... But you want 2 3/4 not 2 1/4. 2 1/4 are a little short.)

Old 07-30-18, 05:43 PM
Received 364 Votes on 340 Posts
They don't make 2 1/2's
As my Son says, whatever!!!

3/16 are fine, the glue adds some extra strength, foam is for weather sealing which is not an issue in an interior basement.