Odor generator for air leak test?

Old 08-23-18, 11:49 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Odor generator for air leak test?

I think attic air is leaking into the bedroom below after I went up the attic to replace a bath fan. The attic air has an odor and if I breathe this for an hour or more my throat starts to burn/hurt. I cannot figure out how attic air can move into the bedroom since there is no hole in the ceiling, I even taped up the ceiling light.

The attic has cellulose insulation. I moved them around when I replaced the bath fan. I also vented some air from bathroom into the attic while testing the fan. But how can these actions lead to attic odor in my bedroom?? I have of course been venting out the bedroom for a few days but the odor lingers.

May be replacing the bath fan has nothing to do with the odor that's now in my bedroom. I don't know what to do or even what contractor to call to fix this.

Perhaps I first need to prove that the odor comes from the attic. I'm thinking I can put some stuff with strong smell in the attic, and then if I can smell it in my bedroom then that would be proof.

What would be a good "odor generator? for this test?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-18, 06:23 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 674 Votes on 623 Posts
There are odor capsules used for testing face masks. They are rather small though and might not work in a big area like an attic. I think an easier test would be to buy, rent or borrow an infrared (night vision) camera. You didn't say where you are located but if you test on a cold winter day you'll get a more clear result. With the camera you can look at the walls and ceiling and the warm, heated walls will be one shade and if any cold attic air is being sucked into the room it will stand out pretty clearly. You can test in the summer on a hot day with the AC running but the temperature difference is greater in winter and leaks show up more clearly.