Basement flooring advice for a studio

Old 09-30-18, 07:14 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement flooring advice for a studio

Hi,

I have 250 square foot room in our basement. I use it as a photo studio. I put down laminate flooring that I want to get rid of. We have some water get on it and I believe that mold is growing underneath as it has a mildew type smell.

The flooring is covering a floor drain too which I know is a bad idea. I want to correct my mistakes. What is the proper way to do that?

Goals:
Durable
Waterproof
Low or no VOCs

I looked into Epoxy flooring but am concerned with off gassing and from what I understand the off gassing is from the difference between wet film thickness and dry film thickness. So would I be better off with waterborne epoxy or 100% solid? Would those off gas after it's cured? Would I be better off just painting the floor?

I did "seal" the cement so I'd need to shot blast it.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-18, 03:04 AM
Received 396 Votes on 370 Posts
The key is to resolve the water issue regardless of what type of flooring you install.

I've got epoxy in my garage and after curing there is no out gassing but as you noted that sealer would have to come up.

Vinyl planks are good for basements, or if you get the sealer removed tile!

Old 10-01-18, 11:32 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The water spillage was our fault, it wasn't seeping in from anywhere.I'd rather not install anything else that I'd have to remove in order to get to the drain, room slopes to that drain too so tile would be difficult unfortunately.