Basement framing...

Old 10-26-18, 05:42 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement framing...

Would it be wise to use hemlock lumber for framing walls in a basement? The basement is completely dry, with solid concrete foundation. Unless it's kiln dried first, I'm assuming it wouldn't be wise, but I wanted to get some opinions. I'm planning to buy standard lumber from the box stores anyway, but was just curious if anyone has used hemlock or other rough cut lumber in a basement... I have used hemlock from local sawmills exclusively for my outdoor buildings, and since I have to use 10' foot 2x4's for my walls in the basement, it's just much more appealing (much cheaper) buying hemlock over lumber from a big box store...

Old 10-26-18, 05:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 359 Votes on 316 Posts
If the hemlock is dry it should be ok providing you isolate it from the masonry. I know it varies between sawmills but often sawmill lumber isn't cut as precise, what you buy in the store has been planed to make the dimensions accurate. Kiln drying both dries out the wood and kills any insects that might be in it.

Old 10-26-18, 07:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 774 Votes on 715 Posts
Kiln dried lumber is also usually straighter... and stays straight. Green lumber tends to warp as it dries. That alone should be worth the extra cost.

You use pressure treated wood for the bottom plate where it touches the concrete floor... and frame the wall 3/4" - 1" away from the wall so as to allow space between the exterior concrete wall and the studs, to keep your wall plumb and account for irregularities in the wall.

Lumber yards should have 10' studs as well as 9ft precuts if that helps you any.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: