Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

efflorescence and holes in my brick basement wall

Old 11-23-18, 06:48 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone!

Me and my wife have bought our first house a few months ago. I noticed some efflorescence and chipping paint/sealant on the brick walls in the basement. On one wall this is occurring severely.

The brick wall has crumbled so much that holes are present. I can even feel a stream of air coming out of the holes. (I have attached photos so that you can see for yourself)

I am concerned that this condition will worsen and eat away at my brick wall and even affect the foundation of the house.

Like I mentioned, I am a new home owner and do not know much about this issue. I am hoping that someone here can tell me what is going on and what needs to be done. I would like to take care of my house properly based on sound information.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

Attached Images   
Old 11-23-18, 07:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I can't tell you how to fix but I can tell you what is causing it........ water.
Maybe too much rainwater going down next to the foundation ?

Old 11-23-18, 08:40 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
You need to keep water away from the wall on the outside with gutters, downspout extensions and grading.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: