Opinions needed for a basement ceiling

Old 11-23-18, 10:11 PM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Opinions needed for a basement ceiling

My wife wants to finish part of our basement and install a wood burning stove. We had a flue installed when the house was built three years ago. So most of the logistics for the stove has been taken care of.

I'm trying to figure out a relatively cheap/easy way to finish the basement ceiling. I thought about dropping the ceiling to hide pipes and ductwork, but also want access in case of water leaks, etc.

One of the ideas I had was to construct a 4'x4' grid underneath the ductwork/pipes using 2x6s and 1x4s to create an upside down "T". When lay wainscot paneling inside the grid, supported by the edge of the 1x edge.

The wainscot panels are 24lbs per 4x8 sheet. So there wouldn't be a lot of extra weight. Unfortunately, the specifications for the wainscot panels states 'not for ceiling use'.

Is there a reason they are 'not for ceiling use'? Or does anyone here have a better idea?

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-24-18, 02:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
4x4 is pretty big and I'd suspect anything that is laid over it will sag sooner or later.
IMO some of those 2x2 suspended ceiling panels look real nice.

Old 11-24-18, 05:34 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
This is what I installed, Armstrong country planks, they are glued to furring strips and although they are not as easy to get above I have everything mapped out and replacing the planks is simple as found out when we had to run a new cable tv line.

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/a...1&d=1543066449

Attached Images  
Old 11-24-18, 06:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
They are not for ceiling use because the panels are thin and would not lay flat over time.

Old 11-24-18, 09:11 AM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Yep, I found the thickness of the wainscot, it is thin. The Armstrong Country planks look good, I might go that route. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: