Old 11-29-18, 07:42 AM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attic ladder for small opening

Name:  attick_door.jpg
Views: 1408
Size:  46.5 KB
I have small attic door that's 27" W x 28" L
I would like to install pull out ladder, but all the ones I could find require about 57" length of the opening. Even if I enlarge opening somehow I can't make it bigger than 46" because there's AC intake there. Is there anything else I can do?
It's very large attic and I got there frequently. My wife is screaming at me for leaving ladder in nearby room all the time

Old 11-29-18, 07:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 702 Likes on 619 Posts
Can you install the pull down stairs somewhere else? move the HVAC intake?

Old 11-29-18, 08:11 AM
B
Not really... I'll keep looking there's gotta be a ladder that will fit...

Old 11-29-18, 08:17 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I googled "attic ladder for small openings" and got several hits. Here's one that would work
https://industrialladder.com/werner-...oaAoTdEALw_wcB

Old 11-29-18, 08:21 AM
B
Thanks! Yeah this one looks like it will work. Just watched instillation video, not too bad. Thanks again, ordering this one.

Old 11-29-18, 08:37 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Werner is a good brand too.

Old 11-29-18, 08:41 AM
M
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a similar situation many y ears ago, and found a somewhat unusual solution. I took a section of an extension ladder that was 9 feet in length. I attached a rope to the top rung, ran the rope through a clothesline pulley that I attached to a framing member in the attic, and attached the other end of the rope to the bottom rung of the ladder. I kept the rope long enough to give me 5 foot "excess" loop at the bottom of the ladder.

When I needed to get into the attic, I opened the hinged access panel, freed the "excess" loop of rope , and pull the ladder down to use. (I used a 3 foot long dowel with a hook screwed into the end to pull down the access panel, and to free the loop of rope from the Velcro.)
When finished with the ladder I used the rope to pull the ladder into the attic. I secured the excess loop to the top face of the access panel using Velcro. I pushed the access panel closed using the dowel.

While it worked, I only went up into the attic about twice a month. Had I needed attic access more frequently I might've felt this was a pain in the butt.
Additionally, you would need sufficient clearance in the attic for the ladder to fit,
and a conveniently located framing member.
If you are out of other options, you might give this a try. Good Luck with your project!

P.S. my typing is REALLY SLOW and I just saw the post about the "ladder designed for small openings". If only google was around in the early 80s.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: