Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Basement floor drain, planning to finish basement

Old 02-23-19, 11:46 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I live in a 1949 3bed bungalow with an unfinished basement - cinder block walls, concrete floor, dry - waterproofed exterior fairly recently. When we moved in, the basement had terribly ugly thin green tile adhered to the concrete with black mastic. We tore up the tile and removed the thick remaining mastic with "Bean-e-doo" soybean oil (to avoid/mitigate asbestos exposure). We are ready to start planning a functional finished basement.

Before we start insulating, framing walls, and calling electricians, there is a drain in the middle of the sloped floor on one end of our long basement that is really bothering me. It is surrounded by broken/rough concrete(?) with a mess of thick mastic or tar that remains because I couldn't get it to come off. It seems they put extra thick tile adhesive around this drain and the perimeter of the floor. I can pour copious amounts of water down the drain without issue - the drain is functioning as far as I can tell. Also, the slope of the floor is pretty significant from the front of the basement all the way to the back of the basement to a second floor drain in a large square hole under the utility sink.

What do I need to do to properly resolve this before I can continue with insulating and framing walls, etc? We havent decided on flooring yet but I am leaning toward floating vinyl click-together tile, and my wife wants carpet. I don't have a lot of room to build a subfloor of any kind because I would run out of headroom to the ceiling. I'm kindof anticipating that I will have to rent a concrete saw and cut that rough area around the drain out and repour its whilst updating the drain.

Any advice or direction here is greatly appreciated.

Pictures HERE on my googledrive

Last edited by JCKcle725; 02-23-19 at 11:57 AM. Reason: trying to add pictures
Old 02-23-19, 12:50 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
The drain was installed for the purpose of providing drainage (go figure) for the basement.

If that need has gone then there is no reason why it can't be eliminated!

It can be sealed and the floor leveled depending on what will be installed!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: