Wet Basement

Old 03-15-19, 10:47 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wet Basement

Our Basement became wet I search and found problem but not sure on the fix (see pics) both bedroom and bathroom window well frozen solid and being in Ontario Canada we have had some rain where it cannot go anywhere because ground is also frozen. Normally we keep deck clear of snow but medical reason prevented that this year, both windows are under the deck and snow/rain dripping in spring I will work on covering underside of deck to divert water away from wells. Our main concern is now repair around window to stop any future wetness but not sure if we need to pull windows and re-cement the sill or some form of waterproof foam spray??. Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Thanks in Advance

Attached Images    
Old 03-15-19, 04:06 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I can't tell what I'm looking at in your pics but to speak generically, the solution from a long term standpoint is to keep water away from the house in the first place with grading, gutters and downspout extensions.

We're dealing with that right now in that I and three of my neighbors are currently enjoying a new pond which has formed in our collective backyard. Fortunately, three of us have grade to the yard which leaves us unconcerned but the fourth guy hooked up a pump last night to try to move that water to the street.

Old 03-16-19, 12:50 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
That is water inside the window wells due to frozen ground?

The obvious is need to cover them so water cant get in and or some type of drainage to remove so it doesn't get into the basement!

Old 03-16-19, 06:36 AM
R
these window wells are under a 30ft long deck as I said we normally clear deck of snow but medical conditions this year stopped us from doing so, my plan in spring is to place corrugated plastic sheets to bottom of deck to move water to front of deck away from wells as well as install plastic window well cover. My main concern was sealing around the windows to stop water getting thru other than completely taking windows out and re-installing.

Old 03-16-19, 09:08 AM
R
"StickShift - I can't tell what I'm looking at in your pics"
for some reason the pics posted sideways even though when I added them i made sure they were right way around
1st pic shows wall under window
2nd pic shows under window, cement sill and blobbed chunks of cement.
3rd pic shows flooded/frozen window well.
the House is 30yrs old we moved in 13yrs ago and had issue 3rd year in, but with keeping deck clear since nothing. As said this year was different but have plans to divert water in spring but also want to fix issue of what looks like badly installed windows suspect they were replaced b4 we moved in.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: