Remove spot welds on support post?

Old 06-09-19, 01:24 PM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Remove spot welds on support post?

I need to adjust the two support posts in my basement, both of which support a large steel I-beam, but the nut I need to turn for adjustment has 3 spot welds around it. What is the best way to remove these welds so that I can make the adjustment? The space is too small and cramped to use an angle grinder so looking for alternative methods.

Attached Images  

Top Answer

06-10-19, 03:43 AM
beelzebob
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Is it possible to use a jack to take the weight off the post and then turn the threaded part of the support post? Can't tell if there is a through hole in the base plate for the threaded part to pass thru because you need all the threads in the nut to support the weight. If not a through hole, I would jack up the I-beam to the desired height , run the threaded part of the support post all the way to the base plate (full thread engagement) and add metal shims to the top of the support post. Remove the jack. Repeat process at each support post.

Old 06-09-19, 04:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
If that is a solid weld between the nut and the metal plate...... you're in trouble.
It will need to be ground down.

If it's a spatter weld on the serface..... use a cold chisel to break it free.

Old 06-10-19, 03:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Would a die grinder fit? if there isn't enough room for an angle grinder there might not be enough room for a hammer and chisel to be effective.

Old 06-10-19, 03:43 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Is it possible to use a jack to take the weight off the post and then turn the threaded part of the support post? Can't tell if there is a through hole in the base plate for the threaded part to pass thru because you need all the threads in the nut to support the weight. If not a through hole, I would jack up the I-beam to the desired height , run the threaded part of the support post all the way to the base plate (full thread engagement) and add metal shims to the top of the support post. Remove the jack. Repeat process at each support post.

Bud9051, marksr voted this post useful.
Old 06-10-19, 04:06 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 252 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Could we get a little larger view of the overall set up please?

I may be totally on the wrong page here but, I am thinking your not supposed to turn the nut.... but turn the bolt, from below or something. If that nut is welded on 3 sides where you cant even get an angle grinder, I dont see how a welder can get his rod holder, hand & a rod back there... then see what he is doing. I'm thinking your not supposed to turn that nut. It was welded in place before the surroundings were put up.

I know that in a true log home, they have these things because logs settle & have to be tightened up occasionally. You gotta have a huge tool to turn that bolt. Its like 3 ft long to have the leverage to turn that bolt. Again, the one's I've seen, its the bolt that needs to be turned, not the nut. So, I'm suspecting the nut is supposed to be welded in place so it wont move when the bolt is being turned under that much force & under that kind of stress.

Just a thought.
Doesn't mean its your situation, but I cant see the whole area so I don't know. You could be right but, again, I think if the nut is welded to the plate, it probably aint supposed to be turned.... in my opinion.

Last edited by Dixie2012; 06-10-19 at 04:25 AM.
Old 06-10-19, 08:09 AM
R
There are two nuts, the top nut is welded solid above and below, while the bottom nut (which is for adjustment I've been told) has a small weld on three sides of the nut, There is a hole for the threaded part to pass through on adjustment.

The beam needs to be lowered (1/2 turn on one post and 1/4 turn on the other) and I was going to use as large a pipe wrench that will fit the space with a long pipe extension on the handle for leverage.

Trying to do this without having to destroy walls and remove framing to get at the weld on the side and at the back where I can't reach with a power tool, but it's slowly turning into a nightmare.

Attached Images  
Dixie2012 voted this post useful.
Old 06-10-19, 08:13 AM
R
marksr great idea, a die grinder might do the trick.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: