Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Trying to figure out if I fixed my basement water issue or not...

Old 07-01-19, 04:27 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

This is a bit lengthy, and I hope I'm asking in the right place. I thinks it's better to explain what I've done so my question makes sense:

I have recently renovated a 100 year old rowhouse/doublehouse. The side that I live in occasionally has mild water issues when we have heavy rain. It's not the end of the world: the house only has a partial basement, brick walls/foundations, poured concrete floor (which, based on the staircase, was added later, was probably originally dirt). Not surprised that I occasionally have damp spots or standing water.

We replaced them sewers line as part of the renovation, which we dug up ourselves (in the city, too close to other utilities, had to be hand dug anyway, etc.). While we had a giant trench that ran all the way around the outside of the house, we decided to attempt to put in a drainage system as well. We installed a PVC line through the curb and under the sidewalk to the side of the house, then connected that to perforated plastic drain line (with a sock). We back filled the trench to the level of the pipe, making sure it had an upward slope, lined it with heavy duty ground cloth, and set the pipe on top. We then filled the trench with gravel, laid more ground cloth on top, and set pavers (with base and sand) over that (leaving an open area filled with pea gravel along other side so that water could still make it into the underlying perforated pipe.

Prior to laying the pavers, this appeared to work perfectly - we filled the trench with water (with the perforated pipe and gravel BUT NOT the pavers) and although there was a damp spot in the basement, there was no standing water and the majority of the water appeared to make it to the street/came out of the outlet at the curb. This was a substantial improvement

Now that I've paved most of it, If I try to do the same thing (fill the trench/perforated pipe from the end with a water hose) the problem is about as bad as it was before. Notably, all the water now seems to come through the hydraulic cement around the new sewer line.

My questions are:

1) Did I install everything correctly, or did I make a mistake?
2) How do I test this, other than waiting for a good torrential rain? I'm not sure pouring water onto the walkway/into the still open end of the drain is effective?
3) Is there a way to spot seal around the incoming sewer line, since that seems to be the problem?
4) Any recommended fixes that don't involve removing the entire thing and starting over???

I can probably live with it as is. The pavers look great, but I'm not thrilled with the drainage results.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-19, 04:34 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 618 Votes on 571 Posts
I think some things were done wrong installing your perimeter drain pipe. Especially since you mention backfilling, then placing the drain pipe on top, installing the pipe at a slope which means at the far end of the house it's probably not below the level of the basement floor.

Did you use perforated pipe around the foundation of the house? Where did you orient the holes? Did you damp/waterproof the basement wall while you had it exposed?

Old 07-02-19, 05:25 AM
Received 364 Votes on 340 Posts
Kind of after the fact, not much can be done now!

Old 07-02-19, 05:35 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
@Pilot Dane

The slope runs up from the street/sidewalk, with the curb outlet pipe at the lowest point. The drain tile pipe is perforated/slit all the way around (maybe not the right stuff?), not the type that only has holes on one side. Very little of the foundation wall was actually exposed in the process, as the sewer Line comes into the basement relatively high and we dug a fairly narrow trench to get to it. We did widen the trench for the gravel/drain pipe.

The house has only a 4 ft side yard, running from the front of the building to the back. All 3 of the neighbor's yards slope or drop into ours, and our roof slopes away from this area, so most of the water is coming from the other side, not from the house/roof.

Old 07-02-19, 07:34 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 618 Votes on 571 Posts
If you have gutters and downspouts leading well away from the house and have the area around the house so surface water runs away you are left with water traveling underground. If you did not install your foundation drain at the footer level then water can pass underneath your drain pipe and enter the basement.