Adding bathroom to unfinished basement

Old 07-04-19, 06:49 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Adding bathroom to unfinished basement

Hi all, I'd like to add a second full bath in the basement before tearing into the main bathroom renovations. This means expanding the existing 2 piece which just barely meets the bare minimum to be called a bathroom (seriously, it's bad).

Anyway, what I'd like to do is to rip out the existing 2 piece, expand it, redo the plumbing, and put in a 3 piece bath. I've installed a bathroom before, done plumbing, and framing. However, none of the above was in the basement. I'm most unsure of how to go about framing (especially on the exterior wall).

The current bathroom has no framing on the exterior concrete wall. This also means no insulation on that wall. It's actually not bad in terms of temperature but I think it should still have some insulation.

I guess my first question is do I 100% need insulation on the exterior wall? If so, can I just insulate the 9' section of exterior wall that the bathroom touches?

How about the wall that will be shared with the unfinished basement? Does that need any insulation?

I've attached the existing and proposed floor plans.

Attached Images   
Old 07-05-19, 03:48 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Does it need insulation., well you currently don't have any so guess you are best to make that decision.

You don't have a location stated so no idea what climate you experience!

Being up north when I finished my basement the base temps rose nearly 10 degrees in the winter so it really helps with heating!

Recall, insulation itself does nothing to keep a room warm or cool, if your not planning to add any conditioning to the room it's not going to do anything!

Old 07-05-19, 06:19 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the response, and sorry about the lack of location. I filled out the location info but I guess if you're in Canada it doesn't include the province. Anyway, I'm in southern Ontario, so we definitely have significant winters.

The furnace room as well as the existing bathroom both have an HVAC register so they are both conditioned at the moment and will stay that way.

Are there any special considerations if I insulate only the 9' section of wall the bathroom is on? If I go the foam board route how do I finish the edge?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: