Drywall glued directly to wet foundation

Old 10-22-19, 08:45 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Drywall glued directly to wet foundation

I have a finished basement where the drywall was glued directly on to the foundation in places. I’ve had a bunch of issue with water in the basement during storms. I’ve installed an interior perimeter drain and two sump pumps and exterior drainage away from the problem areas, and think I’ve solved the water on the floor issues, but the drywall right on the foundation is still getting wet.

My question is short of moving the whole walls out, away from the foundation, such that I can put furrings behind them, is there anything I can do to prevent the soggy drywall? Or is there another material I should install instead of drywall in the problem areas?

Old 10-22-19, 08:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Drywall should not be put directly on a foundation in the first place because there is no insulation between it and the cold wall. So replacing it with anything other than a properly insulated and air sealed wall system would be a real waste of time and $.

Identifying where the moisture is coming from should be number one. Sometimes siding issues are to blame since that could allow water to come right down the basement walls.

Old 10-23-19, 05:10 AM
M
Received 294 Upvotes on 264 Posts
Yes there is only one fix for this and that is to rip to off.
You may have a major mold problem behind it.

Also leave it off until you are sure that the leakage problem is fixed.

Old 10-23-19, 03:23 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Not what i was hoping to hear, but thank you both for the guidance.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: