Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Install indoor hammock swing with vaulted ceilings and 2x4 trusses in attic

Install indoor hammock swing with vaulted ceilings and 2x4 trusses in attic

Old 12-28-19, 04:49 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Install hammock swing in room with vaulted ceilings and attic above

Attached pictures are of the attic space above the room where I want to install the swing. It's a hammock swing chair and it will go in our upstairs bonus room. It’s primarily for my 7 year old son but we’re all going to use it. And no matter what I say, I’m sure that my 7 year old will swing as high as he can on it... so it needs to be very safe for him and for the house. We have an attic space that I can access above the bonus room with trusses that are entirely made from 2x4’s (see the attached pictures). I’ve heard that these are not ideal for hanging a swing, but I’m hoping there’s still a way to get this done without a major renovation. Name:  IMG_9789.jpg
Views: 2036
Size:  10.1 KBName:  IMG_9787.jpg
Views: 1504
Size:  9.7 KBName:  IMG_9775.jpg
Views: 1646
Size:  9.6 KB

Last edited by KTLaguna; 12-28-19 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Images didn’t attach
Old 12-28-19, 05:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Number one, it's not clear at all where in the 3 photos the hammock/swing is going. Its anyone's guess.

Secondly, attaching a concentrated load, hanging from the bottom chord of a truss is not a good idea. They aren't made to do that. And truss modifications should only be made with the signed approval of either the truss mfg or a structural engineer. I would suggest that you check into that first before doing anything.

Having said that, if you are dead set on doing it anyway, (assuming the swing will be within a few feet on the exterior wall) I would probably glue and screw a cdx plywood gusset onto each side of the truss triangle (as measured from exterior top plate to the next vertical support) so that the gusset is as large as possible, and tie the bottom chord, top chord, and any struts all together into one unit. Do that to reinforce the entire area directly above the swing location attachment points. Lagging a 2x6 flat to the ceiling (above the swing) would be a good idea. Be sure you hit the center of each joist with a pair of ledgerloks. Then drill the holes through that 2x4 for your eye bolts. From above, lay blocking flat on top of the ceiling (on top of those bolt holes) and fasten it all together, putting your 1/2" eyebolt's washer and nut on top of that blocking from above.

Old 12-28-19, 06:11 PM
K
Xsleeper, my apologies if I wasn't clear. The swing is going inside our upstairs bonus room. I have attached a new picture with this reply so that you can see the bonus room. The pictures posted previously are the attic space that is directly above the bonus room.

I definitely am not dead set on doing anything that would be unsafe for either myself or our son. If it can't happen, then it can't happen. My husband thinks I'm totally nuts but I'm going for this bohemian jungle theme in the room and its going to be a play area and entertainment room when its all done. I'd love to have a hanging hammock in there.

I'd love to hire someone to do this but I'm not sure if they would even be able to access this area. Most of the attic is pretty big, but the attic space over this particular room has a small and narrow entryway into it. My husband can't fit and so I'm the only one of us who is small enough to squeeze/crawl in there. Unless it's a very tiny contractor, I'm not sure he or she'd be able to get up there!

Attached Images  
Old 12-28-19, 06:14 PM
Group Moderator
Your 3 pictures in the attic show 3 different areas of the attic. That is what's not clear. Which picture shows where the hammock will go?

Your 4th picture shows a 30x20 area. Where exactly is it going???

Old 12-28-19, 06:17 PM
K
The 30X 20 room (in my 2nd post) is the bonus room where I'd like our hammock to go. the rest of the pictures are of the narrow attic space above that room.

Old 12-28-19, 06:28 PM
Group Moderator
I can see that you dont understand what I'm asking at all. Good luck.

Old 12-28-19, 06:41 PM
K
Perhaps this will help. I did a mock up of the side view of the room and the attic space above. I'm sure that it looks silly but maybe it will help. I see now what you are asking... I really don't care where it goes! We can put it anywhere that it can safely attach. I suppose it can't go right in front of the door or the fireplace, but other than that, anywhere else would be fine and I can build the rest of the room around it.

Attached Images  
Old 12-28-19, 08:03 PM
K
Xsleeper, did you see my reply above? Is that what you were asking? Where it would go in the room and where it would be affixed in the attic? Does it make sense to you that I don't really care where it goes, as long as it's safe? And that I'm hoping that someone who understands this type of truss and wood will be able to identify a good method and spot for me to hang this?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: