Foundation crack repair options

Old 01-12-24, 04:04 AM
T
Received 110 Upvotes on 98 Posts
Foundation crack repair options

I'm repairing a foundation crack and would appreciate advice on options. We have an exterior (only) vertical foundation crack, visable above grade and continuing below, 1/8" or less wide. I'm planning to excavate and repair the entire crack. I have a bag of type S mortar mix that appears to fit my need. However, I've seen information on interior repairs with polyeurethane or epoxy injection and hydraulic or anchoring cement so I'm wondering about those, although my issue is on the exterior only. I plan to cover the repair area with abs or pvc sheeting so I don't expect ongoing issues.

BTW, I'm doing the repair as I'm concerned water could be getting into and damaging the foundation although there's no sign of it on the interior side.

Last edited by Tony P.; 01-12-24 at 04:41 AM.
Old 01-12-24, 05:08 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,183 Upvotes on 1,953 Posts
What construction/material is your foundation? Rock, brick, cement block, poured concrete???

What was your plan for the mortar? Smearing mortar over the crack will conceal it for a while but I wouldn't consider it a repair since it's only cosmetic.

Old 01-12-24, 06:23 AM
T
Received 110 Upvotes on 98 Posts
Pilot Dane, thanks for the response. The foundation is poured concrete. My plan is to widen the crack to create a V and fill it with a small trowel but I don't know what I'll find when I clear out below grade and that may change everything. My goal is to stop water from getting into the crack and that's largely achieved by covering the area with sheeting so filling the crack is secondary. The visible crack is vertical so it's probably just settling but I still want to get it right.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: