Roman shade flapping in front of window

Old 02-13-16, 11:15 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roman shade flapping in front of window

I had a Roman shade made for an inside mount. My other Roman shades have a sort of plank on the bottom that allows them to lie flat on the windowsill, keeping out light and air. This one flaps outside the window. Would be very grateful if someone could tell me what the fabricator did wrong and whether or not nit can be re-fabricated. Many thanks.

Attached Images  
Old 02-13-16, 01:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Of course we can't see it , but it doesn't appear to be mounted inside the frame. Can you post a picture of where it is mounted as well?

Old 02-13-16, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
It's hard to tell what I'm looking at from your pic. A pic further away may help to see the overall shade and also a pic of the top part.
I'm going to guess this plank may be a weight bar. There's lots of different ways to make them so not sure without looking at them in person.
Might have been cut or sewn off square, which could make it cockeyed. If this is the case, it's possible it could be redone if there's enough hem to let out or remounted, otherwise it would have to be remade from scratch.

Old 02-13-16, 02:11 PM
E
Chandler - it was mounted inside the window, hope you can see in this photo. Please say if not.

Shadeladie - here is the plank. It can't lay flat on the windowsill, just hangs there. Was it that the shade wasn't made long enough? Is it possible that it could just be let out more so that the plank rests on the sill?

Grateful for all explanations, suggestions.

Attached Images   
Old 02-13-16, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator
Probably should have been made 1/2" or so longer. If there's a hem at the bottom, it can be let out, but depends how long it's been hanging. Are they new? Should be no problem then. If they've been there a while, might be slight fading on the back. The cold can make them shrink up a bit, too, in which case they'll lengthen when it warms up.
Are there hems at the sides and bottom? Can't tell for sure. Looks like they may have been pillowcased (front and back sewn together then turned inside out). This method of sewing can shrink up fabrics. If that's how they were made, might be a problem letting some out. Then maybe a little bit can be let down from the top instead.

Old 02-13-16, 05:09 PM
E
Roman Shade

When it was installed yesterday, they asked me if I wanted the bottom to sit on the radiator below the windowsill, and I'm pretty sure I remember that it was hanging longer, i.e. down to the radiator, about 2-1/2". I indicated that it should lay on the windowsill, and they adjusted something - I'm not sure what, and now, as you say, it's too short.

Would be extremely grateful for any light you could shed on what has gone wrong. Many thanks.

Old 02-14-16, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator
I can't answer without looking at them up close. No way of knowing how or what they adjusted. Seems if they were able to adjust them onsite to shorten, they should be able to let them out a little. I would call them. If they were just installed, they should be able to come right back and fix.

Old 02-14-16, 10:02 AM
E
Many thanks, I've called them. (Hope they can help - very cold and windy here and shade is flapping!)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: