Window shades recommendation

Old 07-25-16, 10:48 AM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
Window shades recommendation

We have those wondows in living room.
OF COURSE they are facing west so we get ALL of the sun in the afternoon.
Though windows in upper tier are tinted, heat and bright light is pouring in.
Can't see TV screen, heat level is very high.
I need suggestion on frugal shades to have installed up there. I'd say - something with mechanical control, does not need to be fancy electronics and motors.
Frugal.
I saw some with a long crank handle, have no idea what the big name for them is.

Something that can be reached from the floor by a tall and not so tall person. Wife is only 5'1''. Though she believes she's 5'4''.

Attached Images  
Old 07-26-16, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
I moved this to Blinds and Shades. I'm assuming you're talking about inside shades? The only crank handle I'm aware of, is for outside awnings.
So by frugal, you mean cheap? Not sure you'll find that. First there's the size of the window. I doubt you'll find anything readymade in that size. Maybe you can find a large roller or rollup woven shade that can be cut down at Lowes. The woven shade may have a long enough cord (tho that's iffy) but it would be dangling down and ugly. You could probably get one of those long reacher grabber things (not sure what they're called) to grab the bottom of a roller shade to raise and lower.
That's all I can come up with. You may have to go at least semi-custom.

Old 07-26-16, 09:31 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Actually Shadieladie's idea is not so bad. Those bamboo roll up type shades might look OK. They're cheap and easy to mount. And they have long cords.

Old 07-26-16, 09:40 AM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
Didn't even know there was dedicated subforum here for shades and blinds.
After 2nd day of quite useless internet browsing, I cam across continuous chain control that POSSIBLY can be run down to a lower window tier so that it can be operated from the floor. Question of chain length and running it around the upper window lower edge. A pulley of some sort.
I think best option so far is either roll down or honeycomb, as both windows at the lower tier have honeycomb.
Frugal does not mean cheap. Frugal means decent quality at reasonable price. Cheap is cheap. It's way too far up high to mess with cheap stuff.
Unfortunately, there are hundreds of online shades and blinds sites each one claiming the best and we know how goes it.
Of course it will have to be custom, I know that.

Old 07-26-16, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
To me, quality and reasonable price don't go together. If you're not wanting to go thru a dealer, then maybe Smith and Noble (online), or Home Depot sells a pretty decent custom Honeycomb.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: