Impact driver and window treatments...

Old 06-10-17, 08:03 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Impact driver and window treatments...

I start threads asking all sorts of questions when I need help, and I recently wondered, why don't I ask about windows? I am the worst at putting up curtains, blinds, drapers, etc. I can never ever put up brackets for rods on the first shot. There are holes everywhere above the window wall, due to not being able to drill screws through and the dry wall cracking and falling. It takes a lot of effort for me. Like drilling pilot holes first, using dry wall anchors, etc. I guess there is a metal frame or something around the window? Is this where an impact driver would be useful versus regular power drill?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-17, 01:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
If you have sheetrock/drywall around your windows (whats called a drywall return...google it) then yes, you will have metal bead basically wrapped around every outside corner for protection from dents and allow a crisp edge. Since you are having difficulty drilling that might explain it. Inside corners are normally just taped.

The metal bead is L shaped and has two equal legs about 1 1/2" wide (might be a bit smaller).

You need to use a nice sharp drill bit and might start a few sizes smaller and drill with the final size second. I have no problems drilling for most brackets using my little 4V compact drill/driver.

An impact driver won't really help penetrate metal and because of it's normally slower drilling speed would probably be worse. Now it might help some on wood, but again if you use a drill/ driver and occasionally back the bit out to clear the hole, it should be fine.

If you are more than 2" from any outside corners, you should hit framing members or a void. In the first case you don't need anchors (another reason for using a small bit first) just a pilot hole and can just run the screw straight in to the wood. If you have metal studs you need to use appropriate screws. Even then, for heavy weight, you need the correct type anchor. I've never worked with metal studs, except to hang very light items. Are you using a stud sensor when deciding where the holes go?

Is the drill in forward or reverse? I have to ask because I think the majority of us have done it at one time or another.

Old 06-11-17, 04:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 333 Votes on 296 Posts
If I remember correctly, standard corner bead is 1.25" wide. It's not that thick and should be easy to drill thru, the same with steel studs. Drilling a pilot hole first is always a good idea!

Old 06-11-17, 05:57 AM
A
Received 67 Votes on 61 Posts
I know that there are a lot of situations that I have not seen or have seen and not paid attention to the details, but if I were installing brackets for a rod that had to be that close to the corner I would be thinking of a different style of bracket, something with an offset or a small block that could attached farther in from the corner. Seems too likely to me that something is going to crack or crumble screwing that close to a drywall corner.

Old 06-11-17, 06:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 333 Votes on 296 Posts
As long as it goes out to the middle of the stud it should be fine. Just remember the first 1/2" is drywall on a window with a drywall return.

Old 06-12-17, 06:10 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
In my experience, any sheet metal screw will cut through the metal bead without a pilot hole and hold very well. The sharper the point on the screw the better.